Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default swarm catching odds

for those of you who specifically set swarm traps, what are the typical odds of catching a swarm do you see?

i know, there are a million variables, but just real quick. 50/50? 1 out of 5? 2% of traps set?

just a ball park number.

Default Re: swarm catching odds

it totally depends on where you are. in my area there are practicaly no feral bees right now so the odds are close to zero. in some areas down south there are all kinds of wild bees so much better odds. also skill makes a difference. so it is back to all beekeeping is local.

It really is like fishing. In a good spot how many fish will you catch? In a poor spot? Spread the bait hives over a large area. When you catch some, put more there and less in the places you're not catching them.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Some years some; some years none. I would say on the average about 10-15% in my area.

I typically get at least one for two traps set.

I used to get over 90%, but not this last year, was down to maybe 75%. I also set less. Very dense population of colonies where I live. Not only feral, but the local bee clubs import hundreds of packages every year. I caught 30 this year and over 50 the previous few years. Our local losses were 56%.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ching-question
    This thread has some good info about catching swarms, Rader put a link in his post in it that also has good info.
    A Bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it rains.- Robert Frost

Question for odfrank, how many of the swarms you caught had marked queens?
    I am guessing bees swarm way more than we think.
    What size boxs are you using?

Spending a bit of time HUNTING feral colonies is usually time well spent if you want to catch swarms... Keep an eye on those spots, and place your traps/boxes anywhere from a hundred yards away to a 1/4 mile.. I know where there are a few survivor hives, and usually have good luck catching the swarms from them.. If I dont know an area and just slap up a bunch of boxes I dont have nearly as much luck..
    www.outyard.weebly.com 8 yrs aiding 40+ hives 3 yrs personal. 40+ of my own now (T, TF Goal) Zone 5a

I got 1 out of 3 last year. Next year I will put out a few more maybe 5 or 6, good luck swarm trapping.

Quote Originally Posted by Myron Denny View Post
    Question for odfrank, how many of the swarms you caught had marked queens?I am guessing bees swarm way more than we think.What size boxs are you using?
    Catching a marked queen is a dream I have not fulfilled. My foremost goal in life is to catch one of Charlie B's marked queens. I am using five frame, eight frame, ten frame, deep frames and Jumbo depth frames. This was my arsenal from 2011:

wow, that's an impressive number of caught swarms.
    I'll be putting out 6-10 traps this year and hope for the best!

Most of those traps surrounded my SF yard for months last spring!
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

I've been receiving swarm calls for a few years now and have mapped where these were picked up. I figure the odds are more in my favor if I set traps where some of these calls cluster up.
    In one instance, I have had four calls in a one mile area.
    I'd bee content with a 25% success result.

Quote Originally Posted by wildflowerlanehoney View Post
    for those of you who specifically set swarm traps, what are the typical odds of catching a swarm do you see?
    Last winter saw our region have the worst colony loss ever. As a result, we had the worst swarm season. We had 0% success. Leading into this winter, we had a better, still not good season. Hopefully, we will catch some swarms.

Shane

I'd have to ditto Shane/tsmullins. I am in Upper East TN, not far from Shane. I went from a high of 30 colonies last year to 18 by 1 October. By spring, I was down to 2 - a full size colony and a nuc. I had zero success trapping swarms this year, though I did get called out on a few swarm calls that I collected by hand. -james

I have better luck from getting calls off of local swarm list. I keep two hives set up in my truck from Feb. through the end of April.

Goes to show it is a location game. Last year we had a light winter and swarming was early by a month and heavy. I had two traps of 5 and my own yards swarmed to a point that I filled all my deep gear. I pulled my remaining traps and caught one in the traps at lunch time in the canopy of the truck. I did expand my traps and tried adding a shallow. One of the traps was swallowed by a road widening project and none of my new traps produced. I use my traps for my OW nucs to keep that ‘bee smell’ in them. It might be BS but like fishing a lot is the location of the bait and my confidence to put it there.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Quote Originally Posted by mathesonequip View Post
    it totally depends on where you are. in my area there are practicaly no feral bees right now so the odds are close to zero. in some areas down south there are all kinds of wild bees so much better odds. also skill makes a difference. so it is back to all beekeeping is local.
    So there are states without feral bees? I see a lot post that say this or that catching swarms are next to impossible.

In 2013 I had 11 traps out and all but 2 were sucessful. I caught 9 swarms all in different traps/locations. One was building comb off a trap lid when I got there with all the bees hanging on the front of the trap - that was easy to transfrer into a hive body. All others took up residence in the traps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast