Arrow Short Deep Frames - Perpendicular to standard frames

Noticed a number of people trying Mini Nucs/Frames but what about another alternative?

Have frames running perpendicular to standard frames with frames rests along the long edge. So the frames will be shorter than standard (10 frame) deeps by about 100mm (4").

There would be 13 short deep frames in a standard (10 frame) box.
    Or if you make a half width box (length wise) there would be 6 short deep frames per box.

You could partition it in to:
    2 sections (6 short deep frames per section)
    3 sections (4 short deep frames per section)
    4 sections (3 short deep frames per section) with 8mm (5/16") plywood partitions.

Also with my combo lid/base, it could be set up as a two story short deep Nuc, then put side by side on a standard box when ready to move them into full size hive body.

Has anyone else tried this?

Default Re: Short Deep Frames - Perpendicular to standard frames

Something like this Matt? Short deep frames, perpendicular to normal way. Not the same frame count though.

Great to see your photos Michael!

They are half length/mini frames aren't they?
    How do you like them?

The two half length boxes are what I'm taking about, but with the frames at a right angle to how you have yours. More like a 3/4 frame length.

There are acpl guys in the NE running" cubes" same width and length built to the shorter length of a lang, and alternataing frame directions. A cpl guys I know and trust say they outproduce every time.

Matt, I recently read a book by a Russian beekeeper, Keeping Bees With a Smile,. He advocates long hives with deep frames. How deep? One way to get frames similar to what he uses is to cut the ears off a standard deep frame, and staple it to the bottom of another deep frame. He says that these deep frames allow the bees to build the same sort of honey dome over the brood nest that they would build in a tree colony. The bees are wintered on a fairly narrow set of these frames, confined between insulated follower boards, and then allowed to expand sideways in the spring. In effect, they are wintering on a two deep hive, but without the interruption of bee space between the upper and lower box. The box is 22 extra deep frames long, so shorter than the long hives I used this year, but with half-again as much comb space.
    Ray--1 year, 7 hives, TF

Quote Originally Posted by MattDavey View Post
    Noticed a number of people trying Mini Nucs/Frames but what about another alternative?

Have frames running perpendicular to standard frames with frames rests along the long edge. So the frames will be shorter than standard (10 frame) deeps by about 100mm (4").

There would be 13 short deep frames in a standard (10 frame) box.
    Or if you make a half width box (length wise) there would be 6 short deep frames per box.

You could partition it in to:
    2 sections (6 short deep frames per section)
    3 sections (4 short deep frames per section)
    4 sections (3 short deep frames per section) with 8mm (5/16") plywood partitions.

Also with my combo lid/base, it could be set up as a two story short deep Nuc, then put side by side on a standard box when ready to move them into full size hive body.

Has anyone else tried this?
    We've got some old hives here which originated from the business which was run by Manley (of 'Honey Farming' book fame) amongst which are various boxes that take the long-lugged British standard 'national' frame in the manner which you refer to -13 frames running across the box. These of course are designed to fit the 11 frame modified dadant, but in the past others in Britain did use the same configuration with langstroth boxes (just cutting down the lugs of the national frames: to make what's known here as 'Smith' frames. In fact, we actually managed a few of those hives some years ago, very good boxes for the job except that these particular ones had some really dodgy homemade castellation-spacers for holding the frame lugs -if we'd been allowed to rip those spacers out they'd have been first class in all respects).

I've recently been thinking about the same idea as you mention -probably 3 sections X4 frames, the National frame is a good size (and very saleable in these parts) for nucs although we do like are mini nucs for economy too.