Default Moving Fifth Wheel Trailer

Anyone using a tractor to move you're fifth wheel around the farm?
    We're thinking about buying a fifth wheel for the farm, & wondering how to move it around with the Kubota tractor.
    Dan

Default Re: Moving Fifth Wheel Trailer

You could make something for the three point hitch but I would worry about the rearing up with that high a pull point on a small tractor especially if the trailer had much of a load to it.

A dolly to support most of the weight would be one possibility. See the link for a photo and description:

http://www.millerwelds.com/interests...ect/4080534757
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

This guy makes a tractor attachment to move a gooseneck trailer. He's somewhat local to me but says he ships ups? I don't know him or have ever delt with him, just came across the ad looking for another tractor item on craigslist.
    http://louisville.craigslist.org/grd/4138529584.html

Why not move it with the truck you pull it with?
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Is your kubota powerful enough to pick it up with the bucket? Are you talking about a flatbed or a camper? I move my gooseneck trailer around with my skidsteer all the time. I have moved my 5th wheel camper with my skid steer as well but you got to be extra careful and I wouldn't just let it slide around in the bucket.

Isn't there a difference between a 5th Wheel Trailer and a gooseneck trailer? Isn't the attachment plate between a semi tractor and trailer called a 5th wheel?

I could envision a ball set on the edge of a bucket on the front of your tractor which could be raised up into the trailer hitch so your tractor could move the trailer around.

I know guys who do that w/ a fork on their skidsteer loader.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

You guys got me thinking, I could weld something up for the bucket.
    I just need to be able to move the camper around the properly, & don't have a fifth wheel attachment for the truck. Our truck only has a ball for regular trailers.

Thanks
    Dan

If you look at detachable bale spear rigs it might give you some ideas. They are quick to put off and on and usually dont need modifications to your bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ6AR View Post
    I just need to be able to move the camper around the properly, & don't have a fifth wheel attachment for the truck. Our truck only has a ball for regular trailers.

Thanks
    Do you think you could get a 4 foot piece of 4 inch wide channel, which you could bolt to your bucket w/ two bolt holes and bolts and then run a ball through the end of the channel outside of the bucket? Does that make sense?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

I'm thinking something similar, part inside the bucket part outside the bucket. It wouldn't need to be bolted or attached.
    We're going to look at the trailer Sunday. The price is right & with these ideas I'll probably purchase it.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by KQ6AR View Post

Thanks
    Dan if you are talking about gooseneck ball on your truck google redneck trailer supply. They sell a converter from 5th wheel trailer to gooseneck ball. It bolts to your kingpin on the trailer, and the unit costs roughly 300 bucks. Then you can just put a ball in your bucket and move your camper where ever you like on your property with your tractor.

Thanks, I'll check it out. Might be cheaper in the long run.
    Dan

Its also nice conversion for my already setup gooseneck ball flatbed truck rather than to have a 5th wheel coupler eating up space on my bee hauling flatbed. My truck has a recessed goosneck ball style so I dont lose any bed space. Besides I think to buy a new 5th wheel setup for a bed is something like 700 bucks with another 400 to have it installed.