Default Simple Cut out question

If you do cutouts in late winter (in warm climates) or early spring and have empty comb, can it be saved for use? I ripped down a abandoned hive with empty comb just prior to getting my first bees. Just crudely ripped it from the floor it was attached to and stuffed the broken bits in a trash bag and tossed it.

Sitting here now wishing I had empty comb....wondering what trail I should go to best answer that need and a light bulb turned on.

During a cut out, if you cut the empty comb to fit the frame and strap it in, will the bees attach it to the frame like comb of honey/brood. I was thinking I would freeze it for a few days once banded in a frame (to protect it) to keep any eggs in it. Then use it as comb during expansion during the flow. Or maybe to help reduce swarming in spring due to having no drawn comb on hand.

Will that work?

Default Re: Simple Cut out question

The best part of this hobby is the ability to try out 'new stuff', on your own with no one looking over your shoulder and telling you about how their third cousin's uncle's daughter-in-law's former boyfriend's college roommate once tried it and was a disaster.

What I'm getting at here is.......you won't know unless you give it a try.

It may be a total waste of time, or it may be a great tool.

But you won't know unless you give it a shot........myself, I cut & rubber-band into frames every last bit of comb that I can, empty, full, dead-out, everything.

Make sure it is stored safely till you need it.

I have rubber banded comb into a frame and inserted into the hive. If the comb doesn't fit exactly in the frame the bees will fill out the comb to the frame.

My initial trial with reusing comb was a slight mess because I didn't use enough rubber bands with each frame. The bees removed the rubber bands before waxing the comb to the frame, so be sure to use plenty of rubber bands to hold the comb in. The ladies will take care of removing the rubber bands in due time.

I have used old comb in place of drawn comb, but I normally just melt it down these days. Just rubber band it.

Make sure you store it someplace away from moths if you don't use it right away. I keep mine in a special freezer.
    NM desert/mountain beekeeper - Black Mesa Honeybees.

Yes, and yes,,at the very least you can melt it down into wax blocks. Any excess cutout comb that does not go into the hive we typically melt or put them into frames that are wired and "saw" them into the wire/frame until they are embedded, this is on a warm day of course, so that the wax is not brittle. Now they are ready to use for another day/hive.

Drawn comb is beekeepers GOLD.
    Rubberband into the frame, insert into the hive and the bees will do the rest.
    Make sure to orient the comb to the frame.

Thought it might work, appreciate the guidance. Thanks again