Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Q: Theorictical Honey per Acre

wild borage really helps in tennessee,
    I am wanting to plant some bluebeard (don't know if that spelled right)
    I've heard good things.
    Midsummer is what I would plant for, here that is the toughest time.
    Also what about Niger, so you have a target planting.
    Clover is dependable in my region without planting it. But tennessee is really splitting
    climate zones big time nowadays,
    Tennessee has a cost sharing program for what your working on,
    also ut is doing a study on bee plants right now, offer to let them plant it for you, there may be a bit of intrest
    All the best, man has it been cold here!!

Quote Originally Posted by reidflys View Post
    wild borage really helps in tennessee,
    I am wanting to plant some bluebeard (don't know if that spelled right)
    I've heard good things.
    Midsummer is what I would plant for, here that is the toughest time.
    Also what about Niger, so you have a target planting.
    Clover is dependable in my region without planting it. But tennessee is really splitting
    climate zones big time nowadays,
    Tennessee has a cost sharing program for what your working on,
    also ut is doing a study on bee plants right now, offer to let them plant it for you, there may be a bit of intrest
    All the best, man has it been cold here!!
    Do you have info on the cost sharing for the planting? I took advantage of the cost sharing on bees a while back... Debating on going big this year... Assuming I get signed up for it and they still have it next year.. i.e. Spending 30k on stuff to get the 15k back..
    Solo for the last 4 Years, ~60 Hives, TF + Oils.
    http://tradingwebsites4bees.com

USdA/Nasa has a chart with LBS ber acre, actualy black locust is one of the highest at 1200, white clover and 300...BUT BUT BUT.... that is witht eh assumption you have enough bees at teh right time to gather that.

Take black locust yes 1200lbs an acre, but its a 2 week bloom how many hives/bees does it take to gather 1200lbs in two weeks?

Sunflowers/ canola are in thet range also,, but back to a 3 week bloom at best.

What does Theorictical mean lol?

Yea, also I believe in my area the black locust is pretty early in the year... I'd have to look it up to confirm...

Now the question is that 300lbs per acre based on 1 hive, or is that per acre based on multiple hives. Also does it assume that you mow down on the deadheads for a 2nd bloom (dutch clover)?

I.e. if I planted 30 acres of white clover... Would you really expect to get 9000lbs of honey... minus whatever they eat..

I'd like to have a buffet for the bees... I posted in the commercial about the max feed per hive during a dearth. Ideally, I'd have maximum number of bees/hives/queens and sell those.. They can eat the 9000lbs of clover, as long as I don't have to feed them. *grins*

Or maybe it's more cost effective to harvest the 9000lbs of honey, sell it and feed them back 9000lbs of sugar... *shrugs*

The end result would be to minimize feed input cost and maximize the amount of hives that an area can support.

Quote Originally Posted by Snookie View Post
    What does Theorictical mean lol?

Perfect on paper numbers that don't account for the end of world catastrophes that happen. i.e. on paper it says your getting 300 lbs of honey per acre, in reality your 30 acre field was cropped dusted by your neighbor because you shot his dog for killing your chickens....

Although, I'm sure you could have googled for a real definition.

Since you can't "account" for weather, crop loss, bee death, and random crop dusting neighbors... You work on the best case scenarios then cut them in half or more...

Thanks Sir

Kinda like Obama Care huh?

Close enough... *grins*

When I studied in Michigan for a degree in Soil biology I learned that minerals and excess water greatly effect the production of nectar.

Healthier plants produce more. Stressed one can't afford to secrete as much.

Balanced and proper quantities of Magnesium, calcium, iron and phosphate (and others) really impact the sugars produced per plant.

AS well as weather. Too much rain washes away nectar, to little puts plants in drought mode

Lacy phacelia and anise hyssop are documented to be good. Also if you have that much land just do buckwheat on a rotation planting where you plant 50 acres every two weeks. You would get constant blooms and all you need to do to reseed is bushhog and disk. Two weeks later the patch is blooming again. Plus the honey is awesome. I was given a small jar that is 30 years old!

If you are looking to plant with the least amount of upkeep I would recommend planting trees. Tulip polar, black locust, sourwood, bee bee trees. Fruit trees are a good choice but need to be maintained. Clover and wildflowers planted along with the trees give you more potential forage on the same land. Personally if I were planting for bees I would look for plants that will also produce a sellable crop. I would also look for plants that will bloom at different periods of the season in order to provide forage throughout the season. Another thing you might look at is planting something that blooms during your summer dearth period when most of the natural forage has stopped producing.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown

Linden is greatly appreciated by the bees, produces a lot of nectar. You can also harvest it to make herbal tea.
    www.apisrustica.com (French-only website) Bee Breeding: Canadian nuclei & queens / northern hygienic bees

Ideally it would require little upkeep.... Depending on where I do it, the plants will be to augment the tulip poplars I already have.

There are hundreds around the family property... We have already started opening a 5-10 acre bottom that is full off 2'+ diameter tulip trees... Planning to plant it full of clover for bees/deer..

On that property, I'm mainly looking for ideas to augment the existing flowers... Summer blooms would be a good idea, if there is a plantable crop for that. I have some beebee trees started, but it will be years until they are worthwhile.

When I start from scratch on a new piece of land, then I'll plant a lot of trees... both fruit and honey production... I'll probably do some black locust fence rows for firewood/forage... And hopefully the occasional rabbit hunt. *grins*

Keep the ideas coming... This will be a work in progress for years...

You might contact your forestry service to find out about native fruit trees also. Here in KY wild plum trees are available through them. Look for native plants that bloom throughout the summer and try to add more of those plants to your property.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown

I don't know much about this topic but can say this...

We have blackberry and to us it is a weed....turn your back and it is 15 feet high and taking over everything. I can't imagine planting it in rows!

We top dress paddocks with clover...it is a biennial and we need to top dress every three years or so.
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

Phacilia is listed as 1,500 lbs of honey per acre with 900 lbs of pollen. I have an acre and the bees love it, I didn't notice a bunch more honey . Its very drought tolerant. I mixed in a little borage for longer lasting bloom.
    I'm not tense, Just terribly, terribly alert!

Crimson Clover, had some years ago, only flowered really well the first year, the second yer very sparce, then nothing. BIG expensive disappointment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12