Default Horizontal hive with foundationless deeps? Spacing?

After spending the summer working a few TBH hives I've really grown to enjoy them. I'd like to go for a full horizontal hive with foundationless deeps so I can swap them into my observation hive as needed. Any ideas on how to space them so the bees don't build on the underside of the cover and so proper spacing is maintained.

Default Re: Horizontal hive with foundationless deeps? Spacing?

My horizontal hives are proportioned exactly like a single deep, but extended horizontally. I use inner covers of 3/4" ply, each built to the same size as the outer dimensions of an 8 frame box, because those are what I use in my conventional hives, and should my 32 frame horizontal hives fill up, I could super them. I use roofing tin for an outer cover. These hives are a lot of fun to work!

colorfulyard.jpg
    Ray--1 year, 7 hives, TF

R u asking spacing above bars. Something around beespace size of .25 should work, much bigger and they will build comb. I personally don't mind burr comb, just scrap it or leave it.

Your could also use a wax coated canvas cover ontop of the bars, I forgot what they are called.

I cut my frame rabbets 3/4" deep on my horizontal hives and then have flat migratory covers on that. This leaves a theoretical 3/8" but it often shrinks as the bees propolize things.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    I cut my frame rabbets 3/4" deep on my horizontal hives and then have flat migratory covers on that. This leaves a theoretical 3/8" but it often shrinks as the bees propolize things.
    So if I am understanding you correctly you are leaving 3/8ths between the top of the frames and the flat migratory covers so the bees can move over the top of each frame as they choose?

What distance do you recommend for frame spacing for this type of hive? I built my TBH's per the plans on your site which kept everything neatly spaced due to the bars fitting snugly up against each other. I am assuming this isn't quite the same when using standard deep frames.

If you use "standard" frames, the end bars will enforce a spacing of 1 3/8" when the frames are pushed together. If you want 1 1/2" spacing for honey frames, after the frames are drawn you can increase the spacing. Michael's page on horizontal hives is here:

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeshorizontalhives.htm
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

>So if I am understanding you correctly you are leaving 3/8ths between the top of the frames and the flat migratory covers so the bees can move over the top of each frame as they choose?

Yes. Standard would be a 5/8" rabbet which leaves 1/4" in theory, but propolis often reduces this and the bees have a harder time going over the top bar.

>What distance do you recommend for frame spacing for this type of hive?

Standard frames will work. I prefer to cut them down to 1 1/4". In the brood nest they are tightly together. When they start doing honey I pull them apart a bit to make them 1 1/2"
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF