Default Allowing split deep nucs to excell

This past season I used divided deeps with 4 frames on each side of the divider. I put a queen excluder above the single deep.

I understand that a queen that is laying perfectly can fill approximately 8 frames of brood in a continuous cycle.

Now I feel that giving the queen only 4 frames to lay in is hindering my honey production halfway through the honey flow... as by then I would think she has the ability to lay up to 8 frames.

What if I were run the single split boxes until my first honey pull, collect the excess honey then pull the excluder and put another split box above the first thus giving the queen on each side 8 frames to lay in. Put the excluder on top of the second split brood box and allow each queen to lay closer to their full potential.

Would the bees just backfill the second brood box during the flow? or would they fill supers stacked on top of that and allow the queens to lay in this box? How do you think this would affect honey production of these double nucs?

Then after the flow I could move them each into a 10 frame deep which would allow them to fill syrup into the 2 extra frames on the ends as well as backfill the nest and be a full box of bees going into winter.

Default Re: Allowing split deep nucs to excell

A good queen with proper feed, can do more than 8 frames Double nucs as I refer to what your doing don't do any less or more than a single for the most part. you risk more than you may gain. your use the same number of woodenware, but you risk the fighting that goes on when/if the cross.

And its a pain to line up the inside deviders. I did it this year for some wintering issues,(trying nucs) and found it to be a pain. I definatly would not do it myself for honey production.

Default Re: Allowing split deep nucs to excell

Quote Originally Posted by gmcharlie View Post
    A good queen with proper feed, can do more than 8 frames Double nucs as I refer to what your doing don't do any less or more than a single for the most part. you risk more than you may gain. your use the same number of woodenware, but you risk the fighting that goes on when/if the cross.

And its a pain to line up the inside deviders. I did it this year for some wintering issues,(trying nucs) and found it to be a pain. I definatly would not do it myself for honey production.
    The proposed question is whether the previous idea would increase that honey production while also increasing the size of the brood nest, or one of the 2, or no effect?

I am doing double nucs to increase my numbers aggressively while still getting honey off of them. This past year I split 5 singles 4 ways each using the double nuc system. I lost 2 of 20 of the nucs I started due to not accepting the queen. So I ended up with 18 nucs. They averaged 50 lbs of honey per nuc for me( 100lbs per brood box).

The honey sales paid for the hive equipment used.

I have been told not to split again during the flow as the bees will pack the brood boxes with honey not leaving room for the queen to lay.

The reason I want to give the queens the second layer of frames is I want to move them into deeps overwinter as I do not trust the 4 frame nuc to provide enough feed for the bees for our 5 month long winter.

The plan is not for my operation to run double nucs for extra honey production, it is to expand my apiary quickly while still getting the same amount of honey I would have received off of my initial hives that were split. Which I have achieved.