Thread: Bears

Default Bears

This is my first year with bees, and I had 2 bear attacks. I live in a suburban area with children, so I'm not keen on an electric fence. Is there any other way to deter bears? Thx

Default Re: Bears

I would rather see an electric fence in a suburban neighborhood, than a bear.

Attacks? or the bears bothered you hives? If the bears are bothering you hives electric fence is probably the best way and there are several different looks, etc.
    Also it would be pricy but could do a larger steel fence, I think they would maybe call it pool fencing or a block fence.
    That is for sure a problem, thank God we only have Skunks and Raccoons. They come and eat the bees at the entrance and the Raccoons eat the sugar water if they can get to it.
    We us a dog run with a top on it to open feed and that keep everything out.
    Good luck
    Honey Hive Farms "Saving the world one bee at a time"
    www.HoneyHiveFarms.com

A chain link fence enclosure with a top may be an alternative to an electric fence.

Photo linked from this fence company: http://www.hooverfence.com/kennel/
    Chain link materials are available in different gauges. Heavier is better in this case.

Putting hives on top of a structure with a flat roof is a possibility if such a roof is available.

And if no flat roof is available, you could build one:

Photo from this thread: http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ire#post787052

Of course, the neighbors, and the zoning folks may have issues with the bear fortress!
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Try a small battery operated radio close to your hives and tune it to a 24 hour a day radio station.I have used it at some of my remote bee yards.Be sure to check it every day and replace the batteries as needed.Use recharageable batteries its a lot cheaper.

www.poorvalleybeefarm.com

are u sure it is bear, and not the little darlings you are worried about the electric fence for.

What the heck is wrong with an electric fence and kids? there is nothing deadly or particlarly harmful about a 12 volt eletric fence, you can't die from it.... Yup it smarts, but its no worse than a bee sting.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcharlie View Post
    What the heck is wrong with an electric fence and kids? there is nothing deadly or particlarly harmful about a 12 volt eletric fence, you can't die from it.... Yup it smarts, but its no worse than a bee sting.
    hehe, yep.. I have MANY fond... err, ok, so they arent fond, but they are memories of electric fences as a kid.. friends and family that were present at the inception of those memories DO seem to be quite fond of retelling them, though they often stretch the stories well beyond what I remember..
    Even my old Bushwhacker, that literally KILLS weeds, and even birds that land on it wrongly gets me about once a year.. Just once to remind me why I take pains NOT to touch it...
    As kids we used to form chains holding hands while the one on the end grabbed the fence.. We had a buss driver who was an excruciating pain that parked his buss too close to an electric fence one time... he sat with his back against the front rim reading a paper as we grabbed hands.. about twelve of us to connect the fence to the back bumper of the buss.. the result was SPECTACULAR!!! OK, some of the memories ARE fond
    www.outyard.weebly.com 8 yrs aiding 40+ hives 3 yrs personal. 40+ of my own now (T, TF Goal) Zone 5a

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    are u sure it is bear, and not the little darlings you are worried about the electric fence for.
    Definitely a bear.

Quote Originally Posted by SS1 View Post
    hehe, yep.. I have MANY fond... err, ok, so they arent fond, but they are memories of electric fences as a kid.. friends and family that were present at the inception of those memories DO seem to be quite fond of retelling them, though they often stretch the stories well beyond what I remember..
    Even my old Bushwhacker, that literally KILLS weeds, and even birds that land on it wrongly gets me about once a year.. Just once to remind me why I take pains NOT to touch it...
    As kids we used to form chains holding hands while the one on the end grabbed the fence.. We had a buss driver who was an excruciating pain that parked his buss too close to an electric fence one time... he sat with his back against the front rim reading a paper as we grabbed hands.. about twelve of us to connect the fence to the back bumper of the buss.. the result was SPECTACULAR!!! OK, some of the memories ARE fond
    OMG, you've totally made my day. That is the best story I've heard in ages!

Thanks, everyone for your awesome suggestions. I live in a "nice" neighborhood that is already grumbling about the guy down the street who has chickens. I think an unsightly electric fence would send people over the edge, not to mention get me sued. I really love the idea of a something like a dog run or shed (which lots of folks might have) or a bear tower (that kind of looks like a tree house or fort). The radio is a terrific idea, too! Thanks, all -- I knew I would get great ideas here!

Quote Originally Posted by fruitveggirl View Post
    Thanks, everyone for your awesome suggestions. I live in a "nice" neighborhood that is already grumbling about the guy down the street who has chickens. I think an unsightly electric fence would send people over the edge, not to mention get me sued. I really love the idea of a something like a dog run or shed (which lots of folks might have) or a bear tower (that kind of looks like a tree house or fort). The radio is a terrific idea, too! Thanks, all -- I knew I would get great ideas here!
    Move to the south! We love our neighbors down here. But we do have a lot of bears also. The dog kennel idea seems like a good idea....but if a bear wants to get to the hives inside, he will tear that kennel apart in an instance.

To make your electric less obvious put up a small picket/decorative fence. Put the electric wire at the top on the inside. Or, you could put up a rail fence with wires on the inside.

Tom

Aye.. or go with the shed, and run insulators around it for the fence. I have to wonder.. neighbors that complain about chickens? Might SUE over an electric fence? Don't they have issues with bees too then? I often thank the good lord for allowing me to return home and get CLEAN away from neighbors like that...
    www.outyard.weebly.com 8 yrs aiding 40+ hives 3 yrs personal. 40+ of my own now (T, TF Goal) Zone 5a

Now that I've completely maligned my neighbors, I have to confess that my immediate neighbors are perfectly lovely. Most people don't even realize I have bees because they're quiet, and I have top bar hives that look like garden structures. One person thought I was raising guinea pigs in them! The grumblers really are the minority, but sadly they make the most noise.

TWall -- I like the idea of a picket fence with wire inside. I guess I've always seen electric fences on farms -- I never even thought about them being decorative. You've really opened my eyes to how it might work. Thanks!