Default Pre Thanksgiving harvest

Today was a high of 30 something, not a bee in sight. We harvested carrots, Brussels sprouts, parsnips, beets and cabbage. For dinner was cabbage, onions, bell peppers, grass fed pig sausage and dried basil... mm, mmmm,mmm, mmm. I had to cut up a tree that fell on the chicken coop and we opened the garden to the chickens. At four o'clock the blizzard ensued. The wife got nervo and had to russel up the chickens because she thought they would freeze. What a funny sight ... the wife chasing the chickens to the gate and the dog chasing them away. She wanted my help. Hon, if they are too dang stupid to go to the coop we don't need them.

I wanted to open a hive to see if they were still there but that is so newbie and I resisted.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Default Re: Pre Thanksgiving harvest

Too funny! I know all too well about chasing chickens. They always know if I want them to go in and they never will. I sometimes resort to tossing pieces of bread in the coop and they all come running. Wont be too long and they will figure that one out too.

Nice dinner you had! Did you raise the grass fed pig?

Quote Originally Posted by Stella View Post
    Did you raise the grass fed pig?
    No, we live in a city and my wife is too chicken (pun)to push the rules. We have the only permit to have chickens in Utica and she doesn't want to rock the boat. We got two pigs in slaughter right now. Now my wife keeps hounding me about the beef, "where's the beef?" My previous co worker is raising the cows and he is not to informative about time lines. And to think she was a vegetarian for 39 years. I can't help it, I am bad.

I think the chickens know exactly what they want and people assume they are stupid. They have stripped the fenced in land that we gave them and now we offer them new territory that is loaded with worms, new bugs and green things. A little snow and 30 degrees is nothing for a chicken that was given the garden of eden. A free range chicken can handle 30 degrees overnight without a problem. Where they are stupid is predators can handle it too.
    Brian Cardinal

Raising a pig is on my bucket list. Like raising bees was. Rules and permits?... theres rules and permits?

I had a hawk attack and pin down 3 chickens a few days ago while free ranging. They still wont come out of the coop...so they do learn. I keep mine in the unheated coop all winter here in Minnesota. Your right, 30 degrees is nothing to them. They clean up all the garden pests. I dont have potato bugs or wood ticks. Grow some Kale next year...they love it!

Suppose Mark's gonna call the "post police" on this bee related thread.

Grow some Kale next year...they love it!

Nah, it got moved so everyone's happy

We grew kale last year and most went to waste. I know Kale is better for you be we prefer swiss chard. It processes faster and is not so coarse. Great for soups though. Actually we didn't pull up the chard. Some of it makes it through the winter. It is a treat to go out in the snow and dig up a green vegetable.
    Brian Cardinal

Nothing like fresh raised farm animals on the dinner table. I will be putting a very fresh (Wednesday night slaughter) turkey on the counter for my wife to cook thursday. So Ace you buying that whole cow from your former coworker? That would be pricey. I bought my own bull, steered him and stuck him out to pasture for next 18 months and appropriately named him TBones!

Trust me, my wife is chomping at the bit for a farm. It is far cheaper for me to buy a half a cow or even a whole cow and give half away then for us to get involved in raising more animals. We are juggling 3 full time jobs plus a part time job and 2 income properties. How do you fit farming into that schedule? Oh yeah, you have a garden, chickens and bees. I am tired just thinking about it.
    Last edited by Acebird; 11-25-2013 at 01:20 PM. Reason: per Barry
    Brian Cardinal

Well wheres the video at Ace? You video and narrate while she chases the chickens about!!!

Fortunately my Maine City girl has come around to the country side.. its taken a few years... JUST WAIT I used to tell her when she was all upset the chickens were still out when it was getting dark... 20 min later I would calmly walk out to the coop and shut the door, all the chickens choosing their spot on the roost by then.
    We also let our chickens run about during the day.. Lost two of them to a Hawk when we first started letting them free range, it never got a third, and we havent had any problem since.. We even have a pair of eagles that are flying nearby or overhead often, but they have never offered harm.
    www.outyard.weebly.com 8 yrs aiding 40+ hives 3 yrs personal. 40+ of my own now (T, TF Goal) Zone 5a

We always let our chickens turkeys free range. The geese are a HUGE PITA. Raising pigs is easy, and they butcher up similar to a deer with the exception of pork belly! Now I just have to wait for my Amish neighbor to start his smoker so I can get my bacon smoked!

Well, you have almost all the makings for a good borscht. Have you read the book Love and Math, The Heart of Hidden Reality by Edward Frenkel? Here is the borscht recipe on page 196. It is a very good borscht. 8 cups of broth (I just use water), 1 lb slice bone-in-beef shank, 1 large onion, 4 large beets, peeled, 4 carrots, peeled, 1 large russet potato, peeled, 2 cups of sliced cabbage, 3/4 cups of chopped fresh dill, 3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar, 1 cup of sour cream, Salt, and Pepper.
    It is a book about mathematics - really an autobiography. The answers are in the back -if needed.

I planted 50 pounds of potatoes this year as an experiment and got 100 pound yield. There is nothing like a potato that come out of your own ground. I will give the recipe to the wife. Thanks.
    Brian Cardinal

FYI Ace, it's not "the wife", in this case it's "my wife." Show a little respect.
    Regards, Barry

100 lb yeild from 50 lbs of seed is "PITIFUL"

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/many-po...ant-54215.html

And I haven't learned much about beekeeping in this thread!
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

That's because this Forum isn't about beekeeping.

"Share and seek information on hobbies and interests other than beekeeping."
    Regards, Barry

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

Ground Cranberry Fruit Salad

Grind:

2 bags cranberries
    3 large naval oranges (I don't use the peel)
    3 large apples (cored)
    1 can chunk pineapple (add juice to the bowl)

Add 1 cup sugar and stir. Refrigerate to blend flavors. Keep refrigerated or freeze. Add more sugar if needed to taste. I freeze this in quart canning jars. Should try honey next time.

Quote Originally Posted by mgolden View Post
    100 lb yeild from 50 lbs of seed is "PITIFUL"
    Goes along with my beekeeping

Yes, I know it should be 5 to 1 but it was an experiment. In prior years it was a forest and we turned it into a wild flower meadow for four years. Last spring I could barely get the 2 bottom plow through it with tree roots, rocks and heavy clay soil. I have no discs to break it down just a home made forky thing. I bought a potato plow that worked fantastic for planting but when harvest time came along I couldn't find the rows among the weeds (that is what they are called this year, last year they were wild flowers). Then the tractor died and I had to use the other one that has the 2 bottom plow on it. Going back and forth with the bottom plows we got a lot of potatoes but I am sure there is another 50 pounds left in the ground. The wife, oops, sorry Barry, my wife and I were getting tired of picking potatoes and it was already past wine thirty.

You see, we don't have a problem with a pitiful harvest even if it resulted in one to one yield. It could have been zipo. I learned how to use the tractors and we proved that we could grow something in this land. We already have the garlic planted in it this year and we will plant onions and more potatoes next spring. That leaves us more space in our regular vegetable garden for the plants That need to be fenced off from the little and big varments.
    Brian Cardinal

Big Grin Re: Pre Thanksgiving harvest

"Yes, I know it should be 5 to 1 but it was an experiment."

Better check the math using the info in the link again.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!