Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Ethics of selling honey as your own

Well said dan ......... Greg
    22 hives and holding

gm-- so I'm on the same page:
    Are you claiming it's clear, by your label, that when your honey is purchased by a consumer, say at the Natural Foods Store, they understand that the Lazy B Honey in their jar is from Il., or that the Lazy B Honey in their jar is from OH and packaged by Lazy B Honey, or it contains a blend of honey from Il. and Oh. and is packaged by Lazy B Honey Ranch?
    How do you know if the honey you sell as pure, raw honey is so if you buy it from others?

I fully understand the flavor label.

Sales girls are responsible for proper representation of the product also.

Quote Originally Posted by greg zechman View Post
    Well said dan ......... Greg
    Thanks Greg....you've been to the Athens Farmers Market.....am I exaggerating?
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

beemandan
    It depends on the nature of your market, I suppose.
    I don't believe for a minute the nature of the market makes a difference in properly and fully representing a product. Be it honey, a child's playpen, a roofing shingle, or a vitamin.

Full disclosure on the label and in sales literature.
    Last edited by clyderoad; 11-24-2013 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rmdial View Post

If I am going to compete with these beeks, should I mention this to buyers?

Your thoughts please.
    I assume by "buyers" that you mean the customers of the people you are talking about. You won't make any friends doing that. And probably not very many customers.

Sell your own honey and keep your own standards.

I have bought honey and sold it under my own label. I helped make that honey. I harvested it and extracted it. But it didn't come from my hives. Was that unethical? You tell me.

I recently found out that in NY State if you pack honey produced by another beekeeper you need to do so in a licensed facility. Is that true in your State?

What do the Market Regulations say? Or maybe no one in charge wants to enforce the regs?

One thing I found out buying honey to resell, I didn't recoop my investment.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

clyderoad,
    Set your price high and make sure you have a banner on your stall which says loudly and proudly, "We Sell Only Our Own Honey".

Quote Originally Posted by clyderoad View Post
    beemandan
    I don't believe for a minute the nature of the market makes a difference in properly and fully representing a product.
    I think you missed my point. In a producer only market everything you sell is supposed to be produced by you. PERIOD. Even if properly labeled, honey produced by anyone else is taboo.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

sqkcrk--From my perspective if honey has to be purchased, either up front or for payment later, it is a product produced by someone else. Purchasing this honey makes one a packer of a commodity/product produced elsewhere. This should be disclosed.

One can only sell something for the price the market will bear. Setting a high price is not going to help sell it. Something is worth only what a buyer will pay for it. From a business point of view sitting on a large inventory of unsold goods that are mistakenly valued above current marketplace prices is a disaster in the making.

My thoughts are that if one honey from a particular location had the reputation of being the 'best' honey money could buy all those selling that particular honey would be fast to disclose that fact and charge a premium for it. Others from outside that area would have to be content with trying to advance the perception of that quality or charge less- until the market forces changed.

In the grocery stores and especially the big box warehouses honey is clearly labeled, ie: Honey is from Argentina, Brazil, USA and Canada. And priced accordingly = less than specialty honey, local honey, raw honey. No games, full disclosure.
    Why is that?

beemandan
    I think you missed my point
    Maybe so. i understand your point now.

sqkcrk--From my perspective ...

One can only sell something for the price the market will bear. Setting a high price is not going to help sell it. Something is worth only what a buyer will pay for it. From a business point of view sitting on a large inventory of unsold goods that are mistakenly valued above current marketplace prices is a disaster in the making.
    If your honey is priced higher than others consumers will believe it is better. If you don't sell your honey for as much as you possibly can you are losing money. Until you set your price so high that people turn it down you will never know how much you could have sold it for.

Look into Marketing. Excuse me if I am telling you things you already know. I don't know what you know or how much you depend on honey sales to feed your family. But if you wish to make money selling honey you have to make your product appear distinct, attractive and appealing.

Are you selling your honey to the Walmart crowd or the Neimann-Marcus crowd?

sqkcrk---The Hamptons crowd and the real food crowd. Two distinct and highly desirable customer bases.
    I get a premium for my product and market it as a premium product.
    I sell it for as much as the market will bear. It is a business.

Full disclosure on all honey labels will enable us to sell more honey, at higher prices to more people. Especially to those people who have been duped by marketers, re-sellers, and packers preying on a unsuspecting and naive customer.

Then sell your honey Brother and make what you can. You will never know what the market will bear until it doesn't bear the price you set.

I can sell my honey at $6 a lb at the pace I need to with almost no effort other than casual conversations. I can sell it at $15 a lb with more expense (about $3) and effort per lb. Profit ends up about $9.00 per lb when it is all taken into consideration.

Producing honey and selling honey are two completely different things to me.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

In the grocery stores and especially the big box warehouses honey is clearly labeled, ie: Honey is from Argentina, Brazil, USA and Canada. And priced accordingly = less than specialty honey, local honey, raw honey. No games, full disclosure.
    Why is that?
    Honey in large retail stores certainly appears to be clearly labeled. But huge quantities of honey are are disguised as to actual origin, then illegally imported into the US and sold. Here is one notorious case:

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...-s-dot-history
    Once the honey is in the US, it is packed, mislabeled and sold to buyers who may not realize that they are being deceived as to the actual origin of the honey.
    Graham
    --- Victor Hugo - "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

I try to control the things I can control and leave others to themselves.

Interesting thought.. I think i will change my label a bit to say origin of that flavor also, At the moment its not printed on the label.... Hadn't looked at it that way, as for the condition of the honey and how its treated, I but it DIRECTLY only from guys I know and look in the eye. Its also easy to tell good raw honey in bulk( I only buy drums) its got stuff in it!... But like I said, the guys I buy from are guys i would leave the kids with...

What we found rather conclusively, was (at least in our area), the beekeepers that were buying in honey from the larger migratory folks (in bulk for resale as their own) was 15-30% beet sugar (Polarmetrics test), where the honey off the shelf from the same migratory folks tested pure (with the same test).

The beekeeper buying in honey to sell as their own generally is not testing for sugar (or other) adulteration..whereas the large chain stores might be.....clearly, at least around here, the migratory folk know the difference, and know which one to give to the beekeeper who will look their own customer in the eye and tell them that this is the best, most pure honey in the world.

deknow
    The irony is free. It's the sarcasm you are paying for....ironically.
    -Felicity Jones in "Chalet Girl"

It's interesting to note that honey prices and demand have increased significantly during a time period when the US economy was very poor, perhaps it's because people are making meals at home more, perhaps it's driven more by perceived health benefits in any case, I find that fact should tell us something.
    I have long been a curious observer of the psychology of the grocery store honey buyer. While there is clearly a segment driven primarily by low price, I am convinced that a high percentage of honey purchases are impulse buys driven by factors such as container attractiveness particularly if it has a local angle, and some brief background information. These are probably the same shoppers who pay more for designer dog food.
    My advice to smaller packers competing on the local store shelves? Be audacious, make people curious as to why your product is priced higher. They have already decided to make a luxury purchase, probably one not even on their grocery list, when they paused at the honey display. Reward them with something special.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

ABJ has an article in it on how to promote your honey (Or how to sell your honey for $15 a lb) Uniqueness in the way of making it different with flavors or better yet promoting that it is local is one way. packaging is another. The funny thing is I read it 2 days after having sold my first bottles of honey for $15 a lb. It does work. I am selling these before I can actually get them ready to go out the door.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

There isn't enough honey to satisfy the demand. Doesn't Supply and Demand call for higher prices?

How much honey does the original poster have to sell? How much does he sell it for now? It would be interesting to see what would happen were he to double his price. How much honey would he have a year from now? If he only sold half as much he would make as much profit and those w/ less expensive honey would follow suit and raise their prices too. Someone has to lead the market.

Something w/ a higher price tag is perceived as a better product only because one thinks it's so. Is it unethical to take advantage of human nature? Is it economically unethical not to?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast