Default Illinois State Beekeepers Assn - Jim Belli No Confidence

I'm pasting below an email I received (names redacted other than Mr. Belli for privacy) with a little information about President Jim Belli using his position for personal advancement with little respect for the beekeeping community in Illinois. I personally know very few details about the situation other than what is in this email but I do know and trust the people that ARE involved. Sign the petition below if you agree that behavior like this by an elected officer in a state level beekeeping association is not acceptable, please state in the comments in the petition whether you are an Illinois beekeeper and specifically and ISBA member.

Dear Jim (Belli),

(Name redacted)'s resolve to stay on the board to keep fighting for the interest of the beekeepers in Illinois has held longer than mine. After being elected (office redacted) 2 years ago it became very clear to me that your interest in obtaining your goals at all costs was going to be done regardless of the consequences. However, your latest tirade of insults against another board member after our annual meeting November 9th is reprehensible.

That you should become that irate about tape recording the board meetings should make anyone wonder why. It is recommended in Robert's Rules Of Order and is as well, common practice. Having an objection you should have made a motion as such. According to the minutes you, nor anyone else, did not. There was no mention when the May meeting was recorded. I was present. Your threats of prosecution have no merit. There is no reason you have to expect that a meeting of a public body such as the ISBA should be in secret. Your emails sent to others discussing ISBA business would also warrant no expectation from you. Your claims of the two party consent law do not apply in this instance and have been repeatedly struck down in Illinois courts.
    In the last two years the board has little input or oversight regarding decisions about speakers, venues, costs etc.... This has never been my experience as to how boards of directors should be run.
    There have been many decisions I feel you have hijacked and done to your and only your standard including the summer meeting when there was a standing committee. A change to our bylaws struck out 3 little words that none of us noticed but never the less were NOT the intent of the board.

'......with board approval' used to follow, ' the treasurer will pay all bills'.

The intent and discussion regarding the bylaw change was so the treasurer could pay all recurring bills; specifically: the Bulletin printing and mailing. This was not to give one or a few people sole authority to make all the decisions. My recollection is that I brought this up at the meeting in January. I questioned how we could approve the speakers when we had no costs. You crossed you arms over your chest and stated you didn't need our approval.
    (name redacted) and I questioned and wanted details regarding this co-adventure with the Wisconsin Honey Producers. To my knowledge we never received any nor had it ever been given at any other board meetings until all the decisions had been made. Who had made them is still unclear.

Is the ISBA still a member of the American Beekeeping Federation? If so there have never been any discussions since I have been on the board about how much we were going to send them for our membership.

Your bullish behavior toward my self and others who have disagreed with you in the past 2 years over many issues is not the representation we beekeepers need in Illinois.

Alienating members and board members speaks nothing of the openness and transparency you claimed you wanted.

If I am the first member to request your resignation from the ISBA board of directors I hope I am not the last. I have no confidence in your ability to act in the best interest of those you are supposed to serve.

I am giving others a venue should they feel the same as I do.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/r...li-to-the-isba

(name redacted)

Mods, move to the appropriate forum if this is not the correct place for this discussion. I did not see another board that would be a more suitable place so I put it here.

Default Re: Illinois State Beekeepers Assn - Jim Belli No Confidence

I hear crazy things about Illinois and St Louis area, we are in Missouri and get a lot of customers from that area.
    There is a bee club over that way, wont mention any names, that they hold bee meetings at Monsanto and have a bee yard on Monsanto's land??? I never been or seen the yard. Just saying, what the heck are you doing there.?
    Honey Hive Farms "Saving the world one bee at a time"
    www.HoneyHiveFarms.com

Many beekeepers fall under the Carl Jung personality of ENFP
    the more I find out about ENFP and compatible personalities (or lack there of)
    the more I understand "us" and the rarity of ENFP's in the world (3% or less)
    the more sense I can make out of our interactions.
    All the best to you.

(Fun to know about the Monsanto bee yard)

Quote Originally Posted by reidflys View Post
    Many beekeepers fall under the Carl Jung personality of ENFP
    Many you are correct......... Not all though!!!!!!!! Not a big "Jungian" myself. Its great the world is so full of differently "gifted people". If all were like myself the conversation would get rather boring.

You don't provide many details here about what is exactly happening.......Which might be a good thing for the rest of us. I was wondering if this is just another version of what we have seen here in Cali for many years when some beeks begin to act like the Hatfields and McCoys. I personally ( on many occasions) have seen the ABF vs Honey producers combatants get in each others face over things I'm sure they aren't even sure about except that they have been fighting forever and so they fight for the sake of fighting not even knowing what the issue is or was.

Sometimes its best to just stand back and let the rest fight it out and then step in the void when the dust settles and the ambulances are already parked at the hospital.

you are so right Honey-4-All (about the ambulances and the dust)
    I've been on this sight for way to long to not know how to do quote box, but it is what it is.

beekeeper arguments seem to require a sense martyrdom and also a unique explosive quality
    I saw a queen excluder argument at the state fair, and it was epic

I don't for one second believe that I know the root of the issue but what caused the pot to boil over is that some time back Jerry Hayes from Monsanto asked the ISBA for an award (this is from a credible source that was on the ISBA Board). The award was given against the will of a majority of the ISBA board and without any kind of membership vote.

http://monsantoblog.com/2013/07/25/i...nize-monsanto/

We all know one can purchase a degree online for a pittance. The skin is only worth the people standing behind it. If the Award is meritless it might fake a few out for a while but eventually things will come to light. Thanks for shedding a little. If this really is bogus it would do a great discredit to Mr. Hayes's reputation in the long run.

I should warn that members need to be very careful what they say and how they say it. Having to come back later and backpedal from what you say has less than desirable results.

Is it kosher to ask for an award?
    Regards, Barry

must not be a big issue or there would be more then 28 signatures out of 1100 members.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey Hive Farms View Post
    I hear crazy things about Illinois and St Louis area, we are in Missouri and get a lot of customers from that area.
    There is a bee club over that way, wont mention any names, that they hold bee meetings at Monsanto and have a bee yard on Monsanto's land??? I never been or seen the yard. Just saying, what the heck are you doing there.?
    Not to hijack the thread, but I belong to the St. Louis bee club referenced.
    They DO hold some meetings in a Monsanto auditorium, which is located directly across the road from the club's apiary.

The apiary is NOT on Monsanto land - it is located on the grounds of the Danforth Plant Science Center

This particular group has several hundred active members, and even just the monthly meetings draw crowds that can not be accommodated in many venues. They used to meet in a Missouri Department Of Conservation building, Powder Valley Conservation Nature Center, until the MDC decided to cut all after hours availability for all groups - even though the bee club offered to pay staffers, utilities, etc to keep it open for the monthly meeting. Without a regular place to meet, Monsanto offered use of their facility and A/V equipment, free of charge. Of course they can afford it, and of course they made the offer in order to generate some positive vibes amongst the beekeeping community, but they didn't have to welcome beekeepers (many of whom aren't exactly in love with Monsanto) into their research buildings to listen to presentations about non-chemical IPM management, and have discussions about GMO's and the danger of placing hives near corn & soy monocultures.
    Whats the saying about Keep Your Friends Close.....?
    "Teach your kids to hunt and fish, and you won't have to hunt for your kids"
    Four Ridge Apiaries www.fourridgebees.com