Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Anyone check winter cluster status with a stethoscope?

4K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  SS1 
#1 ·
Greetings
I read somewhere that winter clusters/hives can be checked with a stethoscope and it will pick up the fainter hum from a cluster that can't be seen from a TBH window. Sounds like a rather fun way to check if the cluster is alive in there. Has anyone tried it and does it work through that wood or the small entry that's left? Are cheap scopes good enough or does it require a more expensive one? Thanks. HB

#5 ·
Thanks so far! I didn't really know if an ear would do it! ;) Today was after a hard freeze last night and my bees were Very quiet until I secured the mouse-guard screen that was in place but not stapled. After the noise I made I could hear them buzz near the entrance(and two guards walked out and quickly back in).So, tapping makes perfect sense to me. I wasn't sure I'd still hear them when the cluster moved toward the middle though. HB

#10 · (Edited)
I have played with this using an automotive stethescope, which comes in the form of a 12" wand.

The wand is perfect for inserting into entrances.

I found the practice to be very vulnerable to background noise. Perhaps workable in the country, but I found it to be of little use in the city.

Moreso, using a stethescope actually requires some effort, and potentially keeps my delicate body out in the cold longer, and away from creature comforts.

My preferred method for finding winter signs of life is to use a dollar store meat thermometer. They cost me only a few dollars each. A 3/16 hole is drilled in the top middle of the top box, and the thermometer is inserted and left in all winter.

I can assess the status of all of my hives in moments just by walking by.

Any reading higher than outside temperature informs me that there is life somewhere in the hive.

#15 ·
I bring home a thermal gun from work, its great to check for hive life and size of the cluster. It also works great for finding clusters in walls and ceilings in buildings. There getting much cheaper now, ours was about 9k several years ago, now its only around 4k

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.