Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Made 100 migratory tops - photos

He won't, remember, "THIS IS NOT AN ADVERTISEMENT!"
    Regards, Barry

Right u r Barry. Maybe I should have written. I ordered a bunch of covers similar to westerns' but w/ a 1/2" shim, from an Amish Bee Equipment builder and they cost me $6.00 unpainted. The builder is Amish, not the equipment. Before anyone asks.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

More than that! Sent ya a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    Looking good... Now let see the blow by blow for the 100 hive bodies and bottom board/pallets to go with them.

*Grins*
    Heres the pallet thread - http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...y-pallets-pics

Quote Originally Posted by westernbeekeeper View Post
    Ya have a picture? I don't remember what his look like.
    Here is a nutra bee video. His tops are all flat with no pieces that drop down in front or back. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYbLbhZXizY
    What do people do about ventilation in the winter with migratory tops? I was thinking about routing out notches in the lids for upper entrances and ventilation. Is there a reason why I've never seen that?
    Jordan Atkins
    6 Hives 2 Nucs 3 years experience Zone 5b - Treat when necessary with MAQS.

Look good.

IMHO, it would be better to not have the cleat seam on the top. Top lets water into the seam and will cause earlier rotting.

Make top cleat ?7/8 wider and underside cleat ?7/8 shorter.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Quote Originally Posted by J.ATKINS View Post
    Here is a nutra bee video. His tops are all flat with no pieces that drop down in front or back.
    The covers in that video looked just like westerns. Look again.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Mark, What is a Western and how it it that it does not fit the description of nothing but a piece of ply with a couple of cleats? Which is also what I see in the video.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

I'm sorry, western as in westernbeekeeper. The guy who started this Thread and made 100 migratory covers. That's what I meant.

On closer examination they are not just like westernbeekeepers' covers, but they are not plywood w/ cleats on the top.

Then I am not seeing what you are seeing. So it is is not plywood with a couple of 1x's stuck on tip. what is it?

It is a pretty crappy video that he never seems to figure out anything to actually film. by the time he can get the camera pointed in one direction he seems to have found three more he wants to try and get it pointed at. but pause it at exactly 2:22 and tell me what you see. I see a piece of plywood with a coupe of 1X stuck to the top of it. Again at 2:37 you can see the edges of two tops both clearly plywood . with no question the one his hand is reaching for is plywood.

And I see nothing else on any of those covers but a couple of 1X pieces attached to the top. Not even a brick to keep them in place.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    On closer examination they are not just like westernbeekeepers' covers, but they are not plywood w/ cleats on the top.
    That's what they look like to me, Mark. I bet if we dropped NB into the dialog, Keith would pipe up and set the record straight!
    Regards, Barry

I'll bite....

Mega bee is better then NUTRA-BEE because I can order it... *laughs*

Also, while your here Keith... Can you tell us how you make your migratory tops...
    Solo for the last 4 Years, ~60 Hives, TF + Oils.
    http://tradingwebsites4bees.com

Western, What are the dimensions of your cleat lumber? I was thinking about 1x3 for the vertical piece and the horizontal piece. I do like the simplicity of keith jarret's lids.
    Jordan Atkins
    6 Hives 2 Nucs 3 years experience Zone 5b - Treat when necessary with MAQS.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    And I see nothing else on any of those covers but a couple of 1X pieces attached to the top. Not even a brick to keep them in place.
    Daniel,
    What they look like to me are three or four 1" boards shiplapped or tongue and grooved together w/ the cleats on the top. They may also have a 1/2" rim on the underside. I saw a semi load of hives from CA a few years ago and that's what the covers were like.

That type of cover can also be used as a super pallet. An individual pallet that one can stack supers on and move w/ a handcart.

No brick or strap needed because an 8 penny nail is nailed down thru the cover into the super.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    but they are not plywood w/ cleats on the top.
    I think they are.

They might be.

Spurred on to even closer examination I went to full screen and stopped the video when the camera was close to the hives. They do look like one flat board w/ cleats. Probably some sort of plywood and not w/ a rim like I described earlier. They could well be made out of concrete form board material. That stuff never warps.

So I guess they aren't really like westernbeekeepers' all that much at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12