Default Winter patties vs mountain camp sugar feeding

Sorry for another winter feeding topic. I have a late swarm I caught August 28th. I fed em 2/1 sugar water til they quit taking it due to it getting too cold. Then I started giving them Meg-a bee patties. They are in a single box hive with 8 frames of mostly honey. I am wondering if I should do the mountain camp feeding the next warm day or keep adding a winter patty on nice days. They seem to like the regular winter patties better than the meg-a-bee patties for some reason. Just wondering if the winter patties will keep them from eating up their stores before our winter is over. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Winter patties vs mountain camp sugar feeding

I've had really good luck with the winter patties,i spritz them with a little extra sugar water and HBH.I saved a couple of colonies last year by doing this.

www.poorvalleybeefarm

Do both if in doubt. Just put the pollen sub next to or under or on top of the sugar.
    Since '09-75H-T-Z6b

Not sure what winter patties are but if sugar then you are good. If pollen sub then you MUST supply sugar if you don't have enough honey to make it through.

I never put sugar on in the late fall unless they have no honey. I check in Jan/Feb on a warm day and, if light, I add then. By checking I mean lifting the hive--right now they are heavy so no sugar. Spring bee production starts around this time here and they can go through stores fast. Of course, your first year it is hard to know what is heavy enough so the heavier the better. Even if you put sugar on top they will eat winter stores until they get up there since the stores are closer. Adding sugar won't "prevent" the consumption of winter stores--only provides insurance in case they eat all the stores before spring.

Now, if I had winters so cold I had to wrap until spring then I might have to re-think things.

hate to sound dumb,, but WHAT are WINTER patties?

> WHAT are WINTER patties?

Here is one example:
    http://www.dadant.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=1281

Note that they are mostly carbohydrate (sugar) with only small amounts of protein. "Regular" patties normally would have a much higher level of protein (pollen or substitute). Pollen is mostly used in raising brood, so protein requirements are considerably lower in winter when there is minimal brood.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

This is my first fall/winter with hives.
    I fed 2:1 in the fall, now it is cooler I put sugar bricks on top of the frames. 12 hives are up in that top area munching through the bricks..they seem to eat that preferentially to the capped honey stores. The 3 weaker hives are not up on the sugar bricks at all..2 are in both boxes and one is only deep down in the lowest box.
    Is this normal behaviour?
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

Yes some dive right in and some hold back. Two observations though - usuay the ones that do take feed seem to build up quicker in the spring. Also nosema will cause a hive to not take feed. Doesn't mean that every hive that doesn't take feed has nosema. Ar least i don't think so.
    Since '09-75H-T-Z6b

Last winter, I built 2 inch shims for my12 hives. I used 1/2 hardwear cloth on the bottom of the shims. A sheet of newspaper on the wire and a moist 10 pounds of sugar cost $5.38 . Nine of the hives got through winter and spring with 2 -3 pounds of sugar remaining. I had to add an additional 5 pounds of sugar to three hives.

By late spring, 11 hives were doing well. One was dead - probably mites.
    Charlie
    12 hives - 7 years (also had 7 hives in early 1970's) T as needed - zone 6

Quote Originally Posted by David LaFerney View Post
    Also nosema will cause a hive to not take feed. Doesn't mean that every hive that doesn't take feed has nosema. Ar least i don't think so.
    I tried feeding Fumigillin in 2:1 syrup early Sept. All hives were taking syrup when I added the Fumigillin. Most hives took the medicated syrup...5 would not touch it.
    Is there a better way of presenting this medication?
    Some say it doesn't work anyway.
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

Thanks for the info. I will add some sugar during the next warm spell. The bees were eating the winter patties great in the fall. When I went back to get some more patties, all they had was Meg-a-bee patties. They are not taking it nearly as well as the winter patty. I don't know if it is because our weather has gotten colder or if they just don't like the Meg-a-bee as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnette Bros View Post
    Thanks for the info. I will add some sugar during the next warm spell. The bees were eating the winter patties great in the fall. When I went back to get some more patties, all they had was Meg-a-bee patties. They are not taking it nearly as well as the winter patty. I don't know if it is because our weather has gotten colder or if they just don't like the Meg-a-bee as well.
    Okay, please note mega-bee is a pollen substitute for protein. If your hives need carbohydrates (sugar) and you just give them this they WILL starve. Looks like the winter patties are mostly sugar so are COMPLETELY different than the standard Mega-Bee patties.

They are not taking the Mega-Bee Protein patties as well because they are not in brood producing mode--which is mostly what they use it for. Come early spring they will take it and that is the time to add it. Right now they need mostly sugar to keep from freezing to death (and it is looking like it is going to be a cold one this year too).

Hope you get a chance to add sugar. Note that it doesn't have to be warm to you--a 40 F day is good enough to pop the top and add real quick--just don't mess around w/ the cluster. In my opinion it is much cheaper to add sugar than the winter patties. If you want them to have access to some protein too (not a bad idea) put some pollen patty (mega bee) strips down maybe an inch apart perpendicular to the frames then add the sugar on top. Bees will take what they need.

Quote Originally Posted by cdevier View Post
    Last winter, I built 2 inch shims for my12 hives. I used 1/2 hardwear cloth on the bottom of the shims.
    Why bother with the hardware cloth? I just put sugar in those kraft paper lunch bags (inside the rim of course) but right on top of the frames.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

one benefit to the mountain camp method is it absorbs the moisture that would otherwise be dripping onto the cluster.