Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Latest varroa cure by BAYER

Melliferal, it's not purely mechanical, it uses a pesticide to kill the mites simlar to how a dog collar works, a constant supply is wicked to the surface of the entrance where bees coming and going come into contact with it.

Thumbs Up Re: Latest varroa cure by BAYER

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Man View Post
    Natural selection. It has worked for millions of years, why mess with it now?
    Natural selection has eliminated about 99.9% of all the organisms that have ever lived.

In my view, there is some sanity in between the extremes of aggressive chemical application and the so called 'bond' method. IPM is where its at for me. The acids are working well against the mites, do not contaminate the hive, and pose no known or expected resistance by the mites. Tried my first OA sublimation this week.

If the Bayer system uses a synthetic miticide, I won't use it.
    Last edited by Lburou; 12-07-2013 at 08:32 PM. Reason: making it less inflamitory
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Any idea where or if the Bayer product is avalible yet??

> Any idea where or if the Bayer product is avalible yet??

Bayer has not even figured out which chemical they intend to use as an acaricide in the BeeGate / VarroaGate yet:

Scientists are still fine-tuning the formulation and application rate, and are testing two Bayer substances on bee populations in the field at various concentrations.

http://beecare.bayer.com/media-cente...t-varroa-mites
    Then they have to do field tests to support their EPA paperwork, and wait for the EPA bureaucracy to wake up and get of its collective butt.

It would be quite amusing if the chemical that Beyer finally settled on was .... oxalic acid!
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    Melliferal, it's not purely mechanical, it uses a pesticide to kill the mites simlar to how a dog collar works, a constant supply is wicked to the surface of the entrance where bees coming and going come into contact with it.
    Okay fine, but the point still stands - it's irrational to reject this treatment independently of its efficacy just because it's being developed by Bayer and Bayer also makes neonicotinoids. If you're sinking in quicksand and somebody holds out a pole, you don't refuse the help and drown just because the guy who offered it is that one jerk who always cuts in the cafeteria line.
    Beeless since 2012; coming back in 2014. Suffering from apicultural withdrawal!

I agree melliferal, it could potentially be a very effective method but it's also another chemical going into the hive that hasn't been tested very much.

I think one of the first prototypes was just a checkmite strip with a bunch of holes drilled in it. The idea isn't so much about a new chemical, it's about a better way to apply whatever the chemical is.

Keep the meds away from your combs, apply it in a smaller dose right on the mite, and protect against mites drifting into your hive from a neighbor. Probably not ready for migratory commercial use, but it's a nice idea and I'm sure some can make it work.

The impression I get from the article is that it's very much in the R&D stage; not close to any kind of commercial release yet.
    Beeless since 2012; coming back in 2014. Suffering from apicultural withdrawal!

Quote Originally Posted by melliferal View Post
    The impression I get from the article is that it's very much in the R&D stage; not close to any kind of commercial release yet.
    Well tactic is back on the market
    Im really not that serious

LOL! Bayer has a solution to helping bees.

We kind of threw natural out the window when we put bees in a box, no?

We had a Bayer bee expert give a talk to our regional beekeeper's association. Not saying I'm a fan of neonicotinoids or seeds laced with pesticides, and I think the big agribusiness corporations make us too dependent on their proprietary strains and chemicals, but I thought what he had to say was worthwhile. If nothing else, their "beetown" research center in NC uses a lot of research methods that I can use myself.

I expect they'd be crushed if somebody could design one of these things that used, say, powdered sugar instead of a patented miteicide (let's be honest ... pesticide), and could demonstrate that it works just as well.

Anyway, evidently Bayer is hitting the road with their "Second annual Bee Care Tour," and my wife and I plan to attend when they hit DC. I expect we'll learn something new.

http://www.bayercropscience.us/news/...re-tour-launch
    Last edited by Phoebee; 02-11-2014 at 10:10 AM.

Oh, this little tidbit is fun. If I were working in Bayer's propaganda ... excuse me, public relations ... department, I think maybe I'd do a reality check on this before using it as a measure of commitment to bee research:

The Bayer Bee Care Support Facility will include:
    Nearly 1,215 square foot building dedicated to
    promoting and protecting bee health.

I'm sure if you are not numerically inclined and never bought a house, 1215 sounds like a large number. But 1215 square feet is about 35 ft by 35 ft. That would make a nice garage, although a little small for my tastes. Our log cabin is 1440 square feet, and I'd classify it as cozy. My new garage is almost 2000 square ft. in two stories.

I think this number applies to their old "Butler Building" at their NC bee yard. The new facility should be larger, and they really ought to update their "Bee Fact Sheet". And the real work is done outdoors by the bees, so the numbers of interest are numbers of hives and acres worked.

http://www.bayercropscience.us/~/med...FactSheet.ashx
    Last edited by Phoebee; 02-11-2014 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Added link

>Nearly 1,215 square foot building dedicated to promoting and protecting bee health.

My house is 5,200 square feet... my barn is 2,380...

>it's irrational to reject this treatment independently of its efficacy just because it's being developed by Bayer

You don't think their morality and values have an effect on the safety of their products and their honesty about that safety and their honesty about its effectiveness? I don't think it is that irrational to assume that people who have lied before will lie again. People who have marketed things that kill bees (pesticides), and people (see the list in wikipedia below) will again market something that is really not good for bees and may not be as efficacious as they would have you believe. It's hard to come up with too many companies that you could characterize as this evil based on their history.

They stole the formula for making aspirin in 1897 (it had been synthesized by various other scientist or groups between 1848-1869, long before Bayer claimed to have invented it)

They invented and marketed Heroin in 1895.

During WWI they made chemicals for gas warfare.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemica...in_World_War_I

During WWII they made chemicals used in genocide.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/...ticle-1.701925

I forgot, they apologized for that one...

In 1956 the chairman of Bayer was convicted at the Nuremberg trials for “carrying out experiments on human subjects at Auschwitz, plunder, spoliation, slaver, and mass murder. “

Then there is a long list of products over which they have been sued which have now been taken off the market after they ended up being very dangerous, despite their research that they were not. And then there are allegations of defrauding the US and state governments… most of these are recent...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayer#Controversies

And now they are courting the beekeepers who are suing them and sponsoring their conferences and trying to sell them more of their products...

I don't think it's irrational to not trust a company that has not proven trustworthy.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

You do man, Michael!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebee View Post
    The Bayer Bee Care Support Facility will include:
    Nearly 1,215 square foot building dedicated to
    promoting and protecting bee health.
    The devils! How dare they try to convince us that they can promote and protect bee health from a measly 1,215 sq ft building! Preposterous!

It's akin to trusting a Beesource poster who only has 100 posts under his belt. Who, in their right mind would do that? Not me! Anything under 3,800 posts is cause for suspicion.
    Last edited by beemandan; 02-11-2014 at 03:41 PM.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

I may have turned that around a bit. Here is the quote from Wikipedia (with a reference to back it up):

"Nazi chairman
    In 1956 Fritz ter Meer became chairman of Bayer's supervisory board. He was convicted at the Nuremberg trials for his part in carrying out experiments on human subjects at Auschwitz. He was found "guilty of count two, plunder and spoliation, and count three, slavery and mass murder" and sentenced to seven years imprisonment and served five years."

Maybe they made him chairman AFTER he was convicted and punished for being a slaver and mass murder and I misread it. The above is from here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayer#Nazi_chairman
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I would hate to be held accountable for the misdeeds of my ancestors.
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

>I would hate to be held accountable for the misdeeds of my ancestors.

Agreed. But most of the issues here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayer#H...blood_products

start in about 2006 and run to the current day...

My guess is the people responsible for those things from 2006 to now are still in charge. My point is not just ancient histor, but that they have a history of imorrality that runs from the 1800s until now. I don't see any real lapses or changes in the company's values...

Every business of consequence, in my experience, has employees who are our neighbors, friends, family and loved ones. Bayer (or Monsanto...or whomever) are no different. The vast majority of those employees have children, grandchildren and loved ones and are environmentally concerned, honest and conscientious.
    If you have specific objections to a particular practice or person or product, then so be it. To suggest that the entire corporation is corrupt is to paint all of those honest people with the same brush that one paints the unethical few, simply because they belong to the same company, is inappropriate and improper, in my opinion
    Last edited by beemandan; 02-11-2014 at 04:39 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast