Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Latest varroa cure by BAYER

The bees bring lots of junk (chemicals) into the hive unknowingly. So if it might work why not try.

Once the commercial guys see the price tag for the product, they'll just say 'no thanks' and continue to use OA for pennies per hive.

It'll likely end up as another gizmo that ends up in the shed on a shelf.

looks like an interesting idea... Cost will be a factor....
    At least there trying. I see a lot of conspiracy theory post, but its funny how none of them have any other ideas......

I try not to argue with points. I cannot convince you, your mind is set. so I would look foolish argueing. But yes If you quote Mother Jones, in my mind your are the epitome of a conspirator.
    Bayer and Monsanto have changed and added to the world. Just like GM and Case. its called advancement. many disagree, and yes some steps are not as forward as we think....... it does not change the fact that the companies mentioned have increased yields and quality of the worlds food supply more in the last 30 years than in the previous 3000 years. but if you like you can go back to planting fish heads with your corn.....
    But what have you done for the world in general with your life?? Try to look at your stance before you start casting stones....... Kinda like Al Gore... maybe you should read your eletric bill before you chastize others.......

Does your cat/dog have a flea collar or treatment?? IF not, fine... if so.. just as fine.. they are choices I try not to prevent others from making choices..... others here want to stop my choice to use certian things like possibly these treatments.

JMO

> But yes If you quote Mother Jones, in my mind your are the epitome of a conspirator.

Note that Goat Man also linked to Forbes
    in the same post. Not many people would consider Forbes, whose slogan is "Home Page For The World's Business Leaders" to be a radical conspiracy outfit.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by gmcharlie View Post
    Does your cat/dog have a flea collar or treatment?? IF not, fine... if so.. just as fine.. they are choices I try not to prevent others from making choices..... others here want to stop my choice to use certain things like possibly these treatments.

JMO
    Or has anyone ever taken an aspirin? Bayer Pharmasuiticals anyone?
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

I can't comment on Forbes, because I have not followed or read it. LOTS of junk articles out there in fact 95% of what I read anymore is terrible biased and inaccurate. The number of well written works is so small it scares me. It is the real problem with us as Americans and humans. We want to read and accept gossip and trash....

I heard a saying once.. don't remeber it exactly but the jist is

Small people talk about people
    Bigger people talk about things
    grown ups talk about ideas...

We have become a nation and a world of small people where gossip and trash talk rule us.

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Man View Post
    Natural selection. It has worked for millions of years, why mess with it now?
    Only when man tries to intervene in the process do problems begin.

If the bees don't put it in the hive, then I won;t either.
    I for one will cautiously listen to the Bayer sales pitch and listen to those who have ACTAULLY tried it and consider if I want to try it on my own hives. There are products introduced al the time that improve the quality of life. This may or may not be one of those products but I'll at least consider it. Throwing out unsupported claims followed with conspiracy theories to justify trashing a product that hasn't yet hit the market makes one look like a cracked pot.
    Last edited by Barry; 11-21-2013 at 09:27 AM. Reason: off topic
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

Wow! This has gotten personal really quickly. I just put out my personal opinion on an issue in bee keeping. I think that is what this forum is all about. You may not like my approach to something but give me the opportunity to do it without personal attacks. It matters not to me if you will use these things are not. But I will not.

Can't have any heretics, man.
    NM desert/mountain beekeeper - Black Mesa Honeybees.

Didn't intend for it to be personal at all. Your first tow post attacked Bayer. not a review of the product or the idea... I consider that a personal attack on Bayer..... I don't use much if any of their products. but don't begrudge those that do a bit...... I try to look at the big picture, notas a conspiracy to take over the bee industry.

Many fail to realize that there are some great people working really hard to solve problems. those guys are no different in my mind than the ones here giving advice on how to keep bees. dramaticly different approaches, but each is doing what they can to help others.. Yup one side draws a check..... but so do the others we all have our motives, some its a paycheck, others its selling nucs or queens or whatever....

Yes, I do not like BAYER. Just do a Google search on BAYER, World War 11, Germany. BAYER is also the company that manufactures NEONICITINOIDS. And many studies have shown this chemical to be a big contributor to CCD. But it doesn't matter to me if it is BAYER or Monsanto or any other company proposing putting more chemicals in bee hives. Introducing more and more chemicals to the hives is not working. surely everyone can agree on that. more colonies are being loss each year. If you keep walking down the same path why would you think you will end up at a different place. Personally, and everyone has their own idea on issues and I respect that, I prefer not to continue down the same path. I may loose all my bees. But at least they won't perish because of any chemicals I put in the hive. And if they survive I feel they will be a stronger bee.

You don't have to justify anything GoatMan. "Better living through chemicals" has been a miserable failure in many aspects. For every success story there are probably 2 other nightmare stories. Speaks for itself. I would have more respect for these corporate raiders if they practiced pure science as opposed to applied science for profit. Money kills the good in things. Money for true research is curtailed and shunted to these multinationals so they can control it. It is bad for humanity and the world. Sad really. We end up with expensive, contaminating junk, when what is needed are real answers and not more consumer products to sell us. Give us a consortium with the best and the brightest, with no profit margin involved or proprietary products, and then maybe we we see real solutions. Until then, we get expensive bee gates.
    Last edited by Paul McCarty; 11-21-2013 at 03:31 PM.

Did someone mention Forbes? I've mentioned this before, but Jon Entine has ties to NeoCon, far right, organizations. Yes he did write an article featuring Randy which basically said that there was no science behind the EU neonic ban.

As for the product itself, many of us would agree that we need to develop resistant bees rather than more/newer treatments.

In fact, the USDA has mandated that we develop resistant stocks of Honeybees.

It's the better option in my opinion.

Yep, but that is hard to sell back to us and the beeks remain in control. Basic predatory capitalism 101 - eleminate or discredit your competition. Don't see a lot of research dollars being pumped into this do you, at least not in the US. The USDA has tried, but they are not funded like they should be, nor do they get a lot of support and rely on our university system.

I think that it's Marketing 101. If there's a demand for resistant stock (which I believe is being driven by small timers/hobbyists rather than commercial beekeepers), then that demand will eventually be met.

Paul, look at it this way, you're on the ground floor.

I checked a couple of my boards and don't see any mites. Maybe because I allow for a strong healthy colony without meddling with it?

True enough WLC.

Right, yes, evil Bayer and their equally-evil neonicotinoid chemical, etc etc. But why is this a reason not to give the proposed, purely mechanical IPM device a try?

If it's all the same I'd personally rather wait to find out that it actually doesn't work before rejecting it.
    Beeless since 2012; coming back in 2014. Suffering from apicultural withdrawal!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast