Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Latest varroa cure by BAYER

I actually rather liked the Bayer Bee Guy who talked to us. He has a company story he has to tell, of course, and I take all that with a grain of salt. However, it was quite evident that he knew his stuff. I have zero doubt that he is exceptionally good at spotting reasons bees die that have nothing to do with Bayer products. He has kept bees since the 70's, I think.

What I particularly liked is his willingness to discuss their methodology that could be useful to ordinary beekeepers. I was already planning to instrument our hives, including electronic datalogging of weight, because that sort of geek stuff is what I live for. Since what I planned to do was very similar to how their research hives are set up, I felt justified. But there are also other tricks I've not heard described elsewhere. He puts rectangular corpse traps in front of their hives, elevated off the ground a little and with hardware cloth bottoms (like screened bottom boards, but outside). This gives him a way to count the corpses, examine them to determine life phase, deformations, etc., and do autopsies. That's simple enough to do for any of us.

As for what they say about pesticides, that's an experiment I'm fortunately able to skip. Our lucky bees will have to search far and wide to find any.

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    The devils! How dare they try to convince us that they can promote and protect bee health from a measly 1,215 sq ft building! Preposterous!

It's akin to trusting a Beesource poster who only has 100 posts under his belt. Who, in their right mind would do that? Not me! Anything under 3,800 posts is cause for suspicion.

Well I have 179 posts. So you gotta listen to me..
    Not everyone signs up for Beesource on the day they start keeping bees and post on every subject offered.

Interesting, originally Bee Man Dan said "Anything under 10,000 posts ..." I'm suspicious! I see an edit.

If anyone wants to be suspicious of my exceptional experience keeping bees, they are very, very wise.

The ten thousand posts are elsewhere on other subjects, mostly science-related.

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Man View Post
    Not everyone signs up for Beesource on the day they start keeping bees and post on every subject offered.
    I hope you're not trying to tell me that you took my statement seriously. Otherwise.....I'm a bit worried about you.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebee View Post
    Interesting, originally Bee Man Dan said "Anything under 10,000 posts ..." I'm suspicious! I see an edit.
    I did indeed edit it down. I've discovered that folks take my humor seriously sometimes....so I figured that I'd include myself in the trusted group....just to cover myself.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234