Thread: bad bee-mom

Default bad bee-mom

HI all. Long time no post, been a busy summer. Hope all of you have been well. So, I have left too much room on my biggest hive, meant to take the extra super off but each time the opportunity arose, it was raining or I was out of town. I then went on vaca a couple weeks ago, came back to colder weather, and now I'm afraid I have waited entirely too late.

My question is, should I wait and hope for a sunny day when it's not too cold, go in and quickly remove the extra room, or should I leave it alone? This is my second year and last year I didn't dilly dally....

I hope that this wont cause a huge problem. I would love to know what y'all would do in this situation. Lesson learned.

Since it's been forever since I last posted, I'm now up to 4 hives, had a fun summer with them and I'm hoping they make it thru the winter.

Cheers,
    Mel

Default Re: bad bee-mom

Well, what is in the super that you are referring to? Bare frames, drawn but empty comb, or honey or ...?
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

If there is no honey in it, I would take it off the next nice day if it was mine. Glad to hear you enjoy beekeeping, it is my favorite hobby I suppose.

The frames are empty, and some aren't even drawn all the way.

Is a high of 54 (full sun) good enough? That's our forecast tomorrow and it gets cold next week. I mean, I should just be able to pull, replace the top and be outta there, right?

Yep... get er done!

Make sure you check (and possibly) treat for mites before winter!
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

I waited too long myself this year, gave the small hive beetles a ton of room to roam and make themselves at home. I got rid of the super (surprisingly they cooperated quite nicely) and put a pollen patty in & have been feeding them non-stop with syrup as well. I hope they forgive me! They've been managing the beetles well so far, but I'm embarrassed to admit how many I saw in there.

I'm surprised you're still seeing beetles. I haven't seen one since mid-September here in NC. Do you typically see them this late in the year?
    The road goes on forever and the party never ends ---- Robert Earl Keen

I think I would put an inner cover under the box you want to take off, (depending on what are in the frames, etc.) and put a bee escape in the inner cover so the bees can get out but cant go back up. Then take the top box and frames off quickly and put the cover back on.
    Wish you the best of luck.
    Honey Hive Farms "Saving the world one bee at a time"
    www.HoneyHiveFarms.com