Default Is there interest out there for pallet clips to accomodate telescoping covers?

Hey all,
    I am about to start manufacturing W clips to accommodate telescoping covers. Is there interest out there for these? THIS IS NOT AN ADVERTISEMENT!!! Any interest will not be taken as commitment, just feeling the opportunity. So, what'dya think?

Default Re: Is there interest out there for pallet clips to accomodate telescoping covers?

I would love some. Would like to have a little more space between boxes. I have made pallets to hold 2 hives for my small operation. Thanks for considering this.
    Peter W., Belgrade, MT, Elv. 4420 Zone 4a
    Sheepshank Honey, 4 yrs & 27 hives

Default Re: Is there interest out there for pallet clips to accomodate telescoping covers?

I would like some.

No, that wont work well. When you put them on a truck they will tip toward each other due to the space. I seriously doubt you will find commercial guys that would make the change so your market is really small. Commercial guys don't use telescoping covers. And non most hobbyist don't use pallets. Not a very good combination in my opinion.

Not much. I know one guy who used them. I think we talked him into getting rid of them and going w/ what everyone else uses. A tighter load w/ the standard U or W clips. What's the advantage of a telescoping cover?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Myself, I much prefer using standard W clips. I just thought of making some to accommodate tele-covers because I have been hearing a demand for them.

Quote Originally Posted by EastSideBuzz View Post
    When you put them on a truck they will tip toward each other due to the space. I seriously doubt you will find commercial guys that would make the change so your market is really small.
    I don't anticipate any large market whatsoever, and in fact am not prepared for a large demand. As far as tilting in, it shouldn't happen because the covers fit fairly snugly in the gap. Pictures in next post.

Here is how they work.
    clip2.jpg

So do hobbyist use pallets? I did not start until I bought a swinger. Can't imagine to many hobbyists have forklifts at that level. I would assume that a hobbyist would use a boom. Commercail guys would not want the extra expense and trouble of an inner-cover.

If you are moving your bee's lets say to almonds I think the brokers would not like the telescoping covers.

But, if you are making them to order then I guess go for it. I would hate to encourage some one to build there operation on this standard and have to change at a large number if they are growing to do pollination.

But, what do I know.

Quote Originally Posted by westernbeekeeper View Post
    Hey all,
    I am about to start manufacturing W clips to accommodate telescoping covers. Is there interest out there for these? THIS IS NOT AN ADVERTISEMENT!!! Any interest will not be taken as commitment, just feeling the opportunity. So, what'dya think?

Ok Ben, I'm going to cut to the chase. Forget it. Little benefit and lots of issues down the line. A big LOT at that. You will be extremely sorry you WASTED your time ( and money) on this. Its one of those things in commercial beekeeping that if it was practical it would have been done long before you were born. Load a hundred semi's with these things and you will commit suicide rather than do #101. Before you go down this road I would put my ****** on an swinger or bobcat for a few loads and then rethink about two seconds as to why I need to go on to my next project and leave this on the history pile of just dumb ideas brought on by no experience.

Thanks Phil!!! Advice taken and heeded. I was already starting to doubt my sanity.

Quote Originally Posted by EastSideBuzz View Post
    So do hobbyist use pallets? I did not start until I bought a swinger. Can't imagine to many hobbyists have forklifts at that level. I would assume that a hobbyist would use a boom.
    I suspect not. But, I am going to build a few 2-way pallets to try next year. I don't typically move big hives. But, I would be more inclined if it were eaiser. I already have a dolly that should have no problem moving a 2-way pallet. There is a local farmer that plants buckwheat each summer. We also have local areas with high concentration of black locust trees. Being able to move hives without lifting them would make me more inclined to move around for nectar flows.

Most of my hives have migratory tops so wider clips to accomodate telescoping covers would not be of interest to me.

Tom

The point of migratory covers is efficiency and money, a lot of commercial beekeepers use them and they is no other faster way than them. Good luck, that clip with be good for side liners or hobbyists so you might be able to make some money off that.

UPDATE

Not going to start manufacturing after all. Sorry everyone. Here is an idea though:
    homemadepallet.jpg

Ben, I think your ingenuity and creativity is remarkable but on this one, I can tell you that hobbyist and small side liners here don't use pallets that I'm aware of.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org