Default Hello from Kansas City (Kansas side - JOCO)

I live in one of the JOCO suburbs, Prairie Village, on the KS side of KC. I have always been fascinated with bees and have finally decided to take the plunge. After doing a bit of research (with a lot more to do), I have purchased a package from Honey Hive Farms in Winfield MO. I have been much influenced in my very newbie standing by both Michael Bush and his version of practical beekeeping. I am also very attracted to the Warre method of beekeeping (or 'bee having' as some would prefer to call it). I have decided to try to blend the two methods as much as possible. I would greatly appreciate anyone's input on the topics of Landstroth 8 frame medium management (with a Warre twist), and organic, treatment free keeping. I would really love to connect with any beeks in the KC metro area that are similarly inclined. I am building my first hive with my bro-in-law, who is an accomplished carpenter (thank God) this Thanksgiving. April will be here before we know it. Hopefully, I'll be ready for the bees!
    Jonathan

Default Re: Hello from Kansas City (Kansas side - JOCO)

Welcome Jonathan. With having someone that is an accomplished carpenter you will be able to make some of your own equipment for controlling mites such as a screen bottom. People all talk about treatment free beekeeping and use a screen bottom board and dust their bees with powder sugar to control mites. Opps. I thought they were treatment free?

Welcome

Best regards,

Frank

Welcome to Beesource!

> Landstroth 8 frame medium management (with a Warre twist), and organic, treatment free keeping.

What does a Warre twist on a Langstroth actually entail? Bars instead of frames?

While you can certainly chose not to treat your hives, and be treatment free, those bees will forage possibly up to a 1.5 - 2 mile radius around their hive. Unless you are in a very exceptional location and can be assured that those thousands of acres meet organic standards, it will be difficult to claim that your bees are organic.
    -- Victor Hugo -- "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Welcome to Beesource!

> Landstroth 8 frame medium management (with a Warre twist), and organic, treatment free keeping.

What does a Warre twist on a Langstroth actually entail? Bars instead of frames?

While you can certainly chose not to treat your hives, and be treatment free, those bees will forage possibly up to a 1.5 - 2 mile radius around their hive. Unless you are in a very exceptional location and can be assured that those thousands of acres meet organic standards, it will be difficult to claim that your bees are organic.
    Bravo , Bravo, Rader ! Just because you use organic practices dose not mean your honey is organic. People living in the city have beehives and say their honey is organic. I just roll my eyes and say nothing. . . do not want to get into that argument. They are also the same beek's that say formic is not organic. It's a chemical and is dangerous. Once a beek told me to drink some formic acid and tell him that it's organic.

Formic acid is an EPA registered pesticide:
    http://www.epa.gov/opp00001/chem_sea..._01-Apr-05.pdf

As a registered pesticide, it must be used in accordance with label directions. Note that the linked EPA fact sheet makes mention of Mite-Away II being the only registered formic acid product legal for use in bee hives. Any application of any other form of formic acid to bee hives is off-label, and a violation of EPA regulations.
    -- Victor Hugo -- "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

I'm about 40 mi. up I-35 from the state line. This is my third year so I don't know much. I have 9 hives and growing slowly. I don't treat. I garden organic but there is no such thing as organic honey unless you're in the middle of a chemical free 10,000 acre circle. I don't think PV would qualify. I'd be glad to talk to you. 660 354-2384.

Welcome Jonathan!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Thanks for the welcome all who responded to my thread. I should have been more careful with my wording! I am not trying to harvest organic honey, but I will not treat for v.d. mites other than with p.s. dusting and SBB. Hopefully, with natural cell production and eventually smaller bees, most mite issues will be addressed. I am hoping the warre twist to my management will help with other disease factors. I plan on using a quilt and will only open up the brood area of the hive if absolutely necessary. Warre calls for two times a year. Swarm management may call for more than that, but I hope to keep it very, very minimal. Also, I will be using open bottom frames of a standard Langstroth size, foundation-less. The 8 frame med. hive bodies are more cu. vol. than Warre recommends, but Michael Bush reports that his bees winter well in such.

farmerdean,
    Thanks for the offer to talk; I'll definitely take you up on it. I appreciate it very much, and it's nice to know that there are others from our area using this forum. If I may ask, what kind of system are you using?
    Jonathan

I don't really have a system as such. They are all on 10 frame. Some are on the regular foundation I started with. Some are on Mann Lake small cell. Some are foundationless. It's all been a grand experiment with stinging insects. Something I always wanted to do and got around to sort of late in life. Looking forward to talking to you. Dean.