Default Hello from Kansas City (Kansas side - JOCO)

I live in one of the JOCO suburbs, Prairie Village, on the KS side of KC. I have always been fascinated with bees and have finally decided to take the plunge. After doing a bit of research (with a lot more to do), I have purchased a package from Honey Hive Farms in Winfield MO. I have been much influenced in my very newbie standing by both Michael Bush and his version of practical beekeeping. I am also very attracted to the Warre method of beekeeping (or 'bee having' as some would prefer to call it). I have decided to try to blend the two methods as much as possible. I would greatly appreciate anyone's input on the topics of Landstroth 8 frame medium management (with a Warre twist), and organic, treatment free keeping. I would really love to connect with any beeks in the KC metro area that are similarly inclined. I am building my first hive with my bro-in-law, who is an accomplished carpenter (thank God) this Thanksgiving. April will be here before we know it. Hopefully, I'll be ready for the bees!
    Jonathan

Default Re: Hello from Kansas City (Kansas side - JOCO)

Welcome Jonathan. With having someone that is an accomplished carpenter you will be able to make some of your own equipment for controlling mites such as a screen bottom. People all talk about treatment free beekeeping and use a screen bottom board and dust their bees with powder sugar to control mites. Opps. I thought they were treatment free?

Welcome

Best regards,

Frank

Welcome to Beesource!

> Landstroth 8 frame medium management (with a Warre twist), and organic, treatment free keeping.

What does a Warre twist on a Langstroth actually entail? Bars instead of frames?

While you can certainly chose not to treat your hives, and be treatment free, those bees will forage possibly up to a 1.5 - 2 mile radius around their hive. Unless you are in a very exceptional location and can be assured that those thousands of acres meet organic standards, it will be difficult to claim that your bees are organic.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Welcome to Beesource!

> Landstroth 8 frame medium management (with a Warre twist), and organic, treatment free keeping.

What does a Warre twist on a Langstroth actually entail? Bars instead of frames?

While you can certainly chose not to treat your hives, and be treatment free, those bees will forage possibly up to a 1.5 - 2 mile radius around their hive. Unless you are in a very exceptional location and can be assured that those thousands of acres meet organic standards, it will be difficult to claim that your bees are organic.
    Bravo , Bravo, Rader ! Just because you use organic practices dose not mean your honey is organic. People living in the city have beehives and say their honey is organic. I just roll my eyes and say nothing. . . do not want to get into that argument. They are also the same beek's that say formic is not organic. It's a chemical and is dangerous. Once a beek told me to drink some formic acid and tell him that it's organic.

Formic acid is an EPA registered pesticide:
    http://www.epa.gov/opp00001/chem_sea..._01-Apr-05.pdf

As a registered pesticide, it must be used in accordance with label directions. Note that the linked EPA fact sheet makes mention of Mite-Away II being the only registered formic acid product legal for use in bee hives. Any application of any other form of formic acid to bee hives is off-label, and a violation of EPA regulations.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I'm about 40 mi. up I-35 from the state line. This is my third year so I don't know much. I have 9 hives and growing slowly. I don't treat. I garden organic but there is no such thing as organic honey unless you're in the middle of a chemical free 10,000 acre circle. I don't think PV would qualify. I'd be glad to talk to you. 660 354-2384.

Welcome Jonathan!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Thanks for the welcome all who responded to my thread. I should have been more careful with my wording! I am not trying to harvest organic honey, but I will not treat for v.d. mites other than with p.s. dusting and SBB. Hopefully, with natural cell production and eventually smaller bees, most mite issues will be addressed. I am hoping the warre twist to my management will help with other disease factors. I plan on using a quilt and will only open up the brood area of the hive if absolutely necessary. Warre calls for two times a year. Swarm management may call for more than that, but I hope to keep it very, very minimal. Also, I will be using open bottom frames of a standard Langstroth size, foundation-less. The 8 frame med. hive bodies are more cu. vol. than Warre recommends, but Michael Bush reports that his bees winter well in such.

farmerdean,
    Thanks for the offer to talk; I'll definitely take you up on it. I appreciate it very much, and it's nice to know that there are others from our area using this forum. If I may ask, what kind of system are you using?
    Jonathan

I don't really have a system as such. They are all on 10 frame. Some are on the regular foundation I started with. Some are on Mann Lake small cell. Some are foundationless. It's all been a grand experiment with stinging insects. Something I always wanted to do and got around to sort of late in life. Looking forward to talking to you. Dean.