Thread: Business ?

Default Business ?

So with all of these interesting threads RE... CDL's, IFTA, HUT... I was wondering what you have done for your business? I have registered in the county as a DBA/ state, but i don't have a state tax # yet. Do i need to add it to the list of needed items:

Insurance- both liability and stock protection
    IFTA, HUT, Random Drug,

Have you formed an LLC for the business or what is the most common way to go? I making a list and getting ready to start the ball rolling.

Also, how or where do you go to list your hives available for pollination? or is it just local word of mouth, farm bureau?

Default Re: Business ?

Quote Originally Posted by scokat View Post
    Insurance- both liability and stock protection
    Im interested to know about stock protection insurance. I have liability insurance and can get equipment insurance where I define the value of my boxes, but they dont offer stock protection. Do insurance companies offer stock protection?

Ok, let me clarify -equipment protection not stock as in livestock. but if it is available, i would be interested also.

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC View Post
    Im interested to know about stock protection insurance. I have liability insurance and can get equipment insurance where I define the value of my boxes, but they dont offer stock protection. Do insurance companies offer stock protection?

SCOKAT,

First want to commend you to be such a brave sole to get into a dying business. One thing you must understand is that some commercial beekeepers have been loosing hive. If you have losses that are too high for two or more years in a row you may not be able to run a sustainable business.

On pollination of Almonds in California they have brokers who find you farms. Some contracts that are larger in size you may never see or get as they have been working with their beekeeper for many years and are not like to change beekeepers.

On your business it depends on what you will be doing. Pollination only? Sell honey retail or wholesale? , Sell wax or make soap? Make mead? Do removals, sell queens, sell hives. . . .

Dying business?

its not dying up here.

Big Grin Re: Business ?

Quote Originally Posted by primeonly27 View Post
    First want to commend you to be such a brave sole to get into a dying business. .
    Well thank you, It's been really tough out there with almond pollination only paying $165-185 and honey prices are in the tank as well $2.10lb.
    Last edited by Keith Jarrett; 11-19-2013 at 02:03 PM. Reason: crying too hard to type :)
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Well said Keith...

Some areas at 2.70/lb. Even heard of 3/lb!!

Being 25 and just getting into commercial beekeeping I sure hope it isn't dying. That being said, the nice thing about beekeeping is no matter the size of operation there is always a niche somewhere to be filled.

Dying business? No one really knows what the future holds of course. When I graduated from high school in the early 70's my parents insisted I go to college (not bad advice by any means of course). I said "ok but I'm pretty sure I want to be a beekeeper". Dad's reply? "With honey prices where they are this bee business looks more and more to me like a dying business".
    About the time he retired honey prices had reached $1.50 per lb. His take? "just remember this isn't reality". He was right.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

So this thread got lightly derailed.

Do LLC's really offer the benefit of forming one these days? I haven't looked real hard into making an LLC but I talked with some folks on it and the natural protection of personal assets LLC originally offered have since been trashed out by our lawyers in this country. Now that stated I dont know this for a fact, just hear say.