Default Ventilated Bee Suit Breakdown Report

As I get older I like to get stung less, and using a regulation suit down here in Texas is suicide. With the feral stock out here, I would normally get stung 50+ times a day through a regular suit. It is also hot as hell. Usually 120+ days a year over 100 degrees. That is in the shade. Once I bought a mesh suit I swore I would never go back. For reference, I am 6' 2" and 180. I have at this point tried a few and will give the rundown as follows:

Golden Bee - $249 free shipping
    Have not owned this suit, but it is a small operation out of New Orleans and I have seen them and they are made well. I am pretty sure they take custom orders.

UltraBreeze - $259 free shipping
    This is a nice suit, with the large size having a 31" inseam I had to go to the X-Large to get 33" which is a bit baggy. A nice suit at a not so nice price. The most expensive of the bunch...but it is well made. The other downside is the bad design/placement of the pockets. The hive tools snags and is hard to grab. I do not understand why companies don't add more length to the legs. The more coverage you have the better. They do not take custom orders anymore so you are stuck with what they offer.

Pigeon Mountain - $174+$20 shipping = $194
    This used to be the cheapest ventilated option out there at $119, but they have since raised their prices. There is talk about people having to wait months for these but mine arrived in a few days no problem. The biggest issue with this suit (and its a big one) is the lack of zippers on the legs. A real pain in the neck. Also the veil top is ultra thin. You will get stung through it without a hat on. The price hike on this suit has made it a non-option for me.

Mann Lake - $155 free shipping
    Just got this one in the mail. Nice pockets. Double velcro protection on the front veil zipper. Good length (33" inseam on the large). Great price. Reputable supplier. Decently made. The one downside is the elastic at the wrists. There are huge gaps and it does not seal tight. Will be wearing gloves only with this one. The best deal so far.

Anyone else know of any other brands please chime in.
    Last edited by mythomane; 11-20-2013 at 04:14 PM. Reason: spelling error

Default Re: Ventilated Bee Suit Breakdown Report

I don't know of the other brands, but I have the Mann Lake one. Very happy with it.

Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I have two of the Mann Lake full suits. I have received 1 sting in two years, and it was because I allowed the veil to get up against my chin.......that's when I found out that I was allergic!! Mann Lake is my favorite supplier and this suit just adds to the reasons they are my preferred supplier.

I like the Honeymoon Aparies Ultrabreeze suits and jackets. Very durable. I have worn for hundreds of hours and not taken one sting through the suit. Easy to get on and off. Plenty of room inside to move around.

Ultabreezesuits.com

I've always gotten my orders delivered in a few days. Have also bought the Mann Lake jacket for my wife. Would buy the Ultrabreeze if you spend a lot of time in suite, and the Mann Lake if more of a hobbyist. I think both do the job just fine though.

Before I had bees I thought for sure I'd need a full suit, purchased the jester for $150 and it's great. Super glad I didn't invest more in a full suit.

After working the bees I realized I didn't need anywhere near that level of protection and got a golden jacket which is really nice...however I pretty much rarely even wear my veil. Usually I work the bees with my hat and veil tucked inside in case the girls start stinging so I can deploy it and keep working.

I typically get stung on my hands anyhow and hate gloves, unless the hive is nuts aggressive I'll never wear gloves as I feel too disconnected from the bees and clumsy.

Full Suit = cut outs with unknown bees
    Jacket = working hives when it's rainy or they are pissed off. Also key in heavy mosquito season!
    Veil = working hives when it's not completely sunny or they seem a little tense

I do get stung a few times every month but it's not so bad and my reactions have noticeably decreased over the year.

MDAX
    Thanks for your last paragraph. I had always thought that for cutouts I would need a full suit and your notice is helpful. I've just been notified that my bee order for next spring was canceled due to the volume of bees they are to ship. So I am now looking for bees again and may just go for the full suit just in case I have to get them from a cut out next year.

Most cut outs are actually fine in a jacket, some folks in my club do it with no gear at all; however down here when approaching unknown bees it's better to be safe.
    I don't believe you have the same AHB issues up there so a jacket may be fine.

Level of Protection is an individual decision though, do what makes you feel most comfortable.

The real advantage, in my opinion, to a full suit is I can wear shorts under it and get more ventilation. I really don't get stung that much wearing jeans and a jacket, but it's a little warmer. Also easier to get in and out of the jacket than the suit, so the jacket gets used a lot more than the suit.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I have a jacket while my bee bud has a full suit. For cutouts, I like the jacket.

Thanks for the breakdown on the ventillated suits. My supplier (always has been) is Mann Lake. I will bee getting one for Christmas I'm pretty sure.

Golden Breeze = UltraBreeze?

I have an UltraBreeze full suit. Pricey, yes. I have never been stung while wearing it. I spent the extra bucks because it has full length leg zippers, very helpful for ease of getting into and out of the suit. I got the full suit because I want to do cut outs and expect to find Africanized bees at some point and wanted the increased protection level. The quality is excellent. On the sizing, I am 5'11, 190 lbs and got a size Large. I could have used an Extra Large since the legs pull up just a bit when I lean over.

Quote Originally Posted by mdax View Post
    Before I had bees I thought for sure I'd need a full suit, purchased the jester for $150 and it's great. Super glad I didn't invest more in a full suit.
    Can you give us a few more details on the Jester? Zippered legs? Well made?

Pest Mall- Eco Keeper Ventilated suit $137 Free Shipping. 7 inch zipper on legs1565_58_vbs001-2.jpg
    http://www.pestmall.com/vented-bee-suit.html

Has anyone tried the Beekool jacket from Bluesky?
    http://www.blueskybeesupply.com/beek...ee_jacket.html

I'm thinking of getting one.

Tom