Default New Bee question about harvesting honey

Hi everyone,

I live in south Alabama where winters are usually very mild (in the 70s today) so the bees are still very active. I started my first hive in the spring and all seems to be going well. I allowed them to fill two deep supers then, using a queen excluder, I added a shallow super toward the end of summer. At this point each, all of the frames in the shallow super are combed and filled with uncapped honey. Probably about 10 to 20 percent of each frame is capped. The bees seem to still be busily working to fill and cap the combs so my question is: is there a point in the fall/winter after which I shouldn't collect the honey? Should I expect the bees to cap the combs at this point making the honey collectable or should I just wait until spring?

Thanks in advance,
    Bill

Default Re: New Bee question about harvesting honey

At this point I would think you won't get anything else capped, because even that far south you won't have much nectar coming in. However, if you do have a source of nectar, they may indeed cap it progressively IF they can bring in more than they use for brood.

Look occasionally. If they cap it and there is plenty in the deeps, you can extract. If not, just leave it and add another super in the spring and let them fill that as well.

Peter

i would consider waiting until about march or so (i.e. when the first trees start blooming in your area) and harvesting both deep and shallow frames that are capped. this will give you some empty comb to work with for swarm prevention.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

also, you should remove your excluder if you haven't already just in case the cluster moves up into the shallow leaving the queen trapped below.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives