Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Wood hive VS polystyrene hive

I made two 5 frame nucs with 1.5" blue board last summer. The bees did really well in those nucs and I had to add empty frames so they could build up more comb. I suspect that part of the reason they did well is that a warm day here is typically 65f so with that insulation they didn't have to spend as much time warming brood.

I'm interested ware are you located

jon.w,

these might work for you ?

http://www.michiganbees.org/wp-conte...c_20100813.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Bee o View Post
    Has anyone tried polystyrene hive equipment? Or is wood the best hive type?
    I am trying a Poly Beeworld Bee Boxes this spring with a new nuc arriving 4/29. I am seeing more and more of them. I painted mine on the outside with several coats of barn paint. Like one of the other commenters mentioned, the OD is a different size than regular langstroths so using wooden boxes on top will work but they don't fit in the poly hives tongue and groove. I use slatted racks and feeder shims, so in order to get them to fit, I needed to make a wooden adapter.
    Local Carniolan Bees. All medium configuration.

In Norway everyone use PS and everyone struggles with mold on the frames in spring, even with perforsted bottom board and semi-waterpermeable top-insulation. I hate it but no one sells wooden hives here as everyone thinks that the bees will freeze to death in winter....

Here is one of my nucs with a poly bottom and a wooden upper box. Works ok but will have moisture issues so I have to drill holes in the bottom of the box
    Attached Images Attached Images

Try adding a 2in spacer at the top and a 1/2 entry in it it will dispell moisture a lot better

Doesnt really work for me, the entrance is as wide as the whole box and no difference with the top spacer. I spoke recently with a guy that started some Warre hive a few year back and he told me that in his experience, the hives made from 1" boards winter alot better than PS-hives. Inside is dry come spring, less dead bees, no mold etc. So my plan now is to make the hives myself - 8 frame mediums with quiltbox, wooden roof and bottom boards.

Quote Originally Posted by rwmccor View Post
    no I now of these plans and went a different way

Hi, Lauri,

"I still have about ten of these unassembled. If someone local is still determined to try them I would sell them at my cost..Which three years ago was less that retail today."

Would you mind PMing me about how much they would cost for you to ship them to 74801 (Oklahoma) please? If the price beats Dadant, I am interested.

As you can see on my web page below, I use one as my retrieval box for cutouts and swarms, the best feature being its feather weight. I have painted it many a time in the past, now in pink, the cheapest mistint I could find.

Gratefully,

Earthboy

https://www.facebook.com/YSKHoney/

In the always wanted to try category and the please save me some trouble if you can category.

Has anyone built a nuc with a 2nd baffle in the rear? The rear wall 3/8 shorter than the front causing the heated air to make a u turn and down the baffled wall. The 2nd baffle would be gapped say 1/2 inch from the exterior rear wall and extend something like 3/4 the depth of the nuc, The idea being high ventilation up and over the rear wall, yet retaining a insulated bubble of warm air in the box.

Capture.jpg

I stole this image from here.http://www.beebehavior.com/polystyrene_nucs.php

Practicing my linking snipping and pasting skills....

Peter
    Ottawa. ON

Since bees chew on most types of styrofoam , has anyone tried to protect the inside with a thin layer of silicone instate of painting ?
    I have a cheap source of styrofoam boxes . I can alter them quick and make 2 boxes out of 3 . A box holds 6 medium frames and I hope it's big enough for a nuc.
    So far I made just 2 boxes as an experiment . One is lined out with a thin layer of silicone, the other one with that red tuck tape ( the red plastic ).
    Just wondering if that experiment was done before.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12