Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Honeyless in Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by Bthelight206 View Post
    Is it safe to say that now is not they right time to attempt introducing a new queen?
    I'm not sure exactly what your weather is like and even if you could procure a queen at this time of year but with your hive situation I think you would be better served saving the funds and putting them toward a package for next spring. If you only have one hive you can build a second one to put the bees in if your current hive makes it. That way you will have resources or can combine if there are issues. If your present hive doesn't pull through you can use the second hive to put a swarm or split into.

Colleen O. - thanks so much for all of your help. I will stay the course that you have helped me set and hopefully they will pull through. I ordered some pollen substitute and will begin making candy this weekend.

My TBH bees were light on stores as well. With a screened bottom, dumping in sugar wasn't an option and they have no access to the "attic". There was a bar of drone comb that they drew out in early summer, but wouldn't touch for anything else, so I cooked up a batch of sugar with minimal water and "painted" it on that comb. Let it dry for a few days and put it in the hive. It put the sugar inside the hive and up off the floor. If it's warmer this weekend (supposed to be 70), I'll try to get a picture of it to post.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12