Default reusing wax moth damaged frames and boxes

Hello,
    I have a hive that died out this summer and was then over run by wax moths. Even though the wood is a bit damaged now, any reason I cant scrape all the stuff out, replace the foundation and use the frames and supers next year?
    Thanks,
    Steve

Default Re: reusing wax moth damaged frames and boxes

Nope. Will work just fine. I freeze the stuff for 24-48 hrs before I reuse.
    Beeman
    All things may be lawful; but not all things are advantagous.

Thanks. We will have several nights of freezing weather here in north Tx. I'll scrape the boxes clean and put all new foundation in the frames before the spring.
    Steve

I rarely have a problem reusing damaged equipment unless it's really bad. Make sure it gets good and cold when freezing temps hit or else you'll just have the problem again.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I've reused frames after giving a mild scrape and replaced foundation, often even going foundationless. Don't obsess about spotless scraping or sterilizing. Bees will finish the work for you. I've not frozen the frames, though through the winter there's enough cold weather to take care of the eggs.

And good for you! You recognize that the hive got weak, first, then moths overran the hive. Too many people blame the moths for "taking down the hive." They don't believe me when I say something else made the hive perform poorly (even beekeeper neglect) and the opportunistic moths just took advantage of the situation.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

Grant is right. I've had people tell me they've had a problem with wax moths which, in itself, may be true. But sometimes they go on to infer that the moths started (and sometimes finished) the problem. Not true. Opening a neglected dead out and finding it loaded with wax moths doesn't mean that the deadout occured due to their presence. Point well made!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"