Default Sweet Sweet Golden Honey

Hello everyone!

I recently started getting interested in beekeeping. Not only was it the countless youtube videos of honey harvests that peaked my interest, but also the aspect of being self reliant and being able to pollinate my own crop, as well as furthering the age old tradition of beekeeping.

Since I'm in zone 5b/6a (Right on the edge) and its the beginning of November I realize this isn't the best time to start a hive. That's okay though, it gives me a few months to research and plan out every detail.

From what I've read so far it seems that a top bar hive would be the most simple and cheapest. However, my mind is pretty set on building a Langstroth hive.
    I'd like to build it as follows;

At the bottom I want to put base board, with a super on top of it with a entrance piece with 2 different sized cutouts on adjacent sides; One bigger one for summer and one smaller one for winter. On top of the super I would like to put a deep with open whatchamacallits(I forget the term for the things they build the comb on) so that they can build them extra long down into the bottom part(the base super). This entire section would be solely for brood.^

On top of the deep I want to put a another super which will contain honey strictly for the bees. On top of that I will put a queen excluder and then another two supers for me to steal honey from. Last but not least, I will put both an inner cover and an upper cover on top with a feeder during the early stages.

It will basically look like the attached picture, except with a 'honey super' under the deep super and with a extra honey super solely for the bees to keep their honey under the queen excluder.

Questions and comments are more than welcome. Any help would be much appreciated.

[EDIT] I'm having trouble uploading the picture. Here is a link to it. http://www.almanac.com/image/langstroth-hive
    Last edited by Moonlight; 11-11-2013 at 06:05 PM.

Default Re: Sweet Sweet Golden Honey

Welcome to Beesource!

Here's the image from the link above:

What is shown is pretty much a traditional Lang hive configuration. What do you hope to gain by making the changes you referenced in post #1?
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

Well an empty honey super under the deep super(containing bottomless thingys) will allow them a good bit of extra room to expand their combs down and I think that will keep them happier. It will also give more airflow which will help in the summer months.

I just realized that a honey super doesn't need to be under the excluder for the bees to get it, so forget the part about wanting to put it under the excluder....(sorry, im still learning.)

I think if you phrase that in terms of moving the excluder to a different place in the stack, it may be more clear.

While the diagram shows only one deep as part of the brood nest, there are plenty of variations, one of which is having two deeps as part of the brood nest (under the excluder).

You will also find that some beekeepers have no use at all for an excluder as part of a standard hive configuration.
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

After talking with the guys in chat I've decided to just build it as pictured. If I end up needing more room I can always add another deep.

Welcome, If your already tinkering with plans your going to really enjoy beekeeping once you get going, I have built all sorts of hives, several observation hives, building for wintering nucs. etc theres no limit
    I'm not tense, Just terribly, terribly alert!

Welcome!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com