Default Hogan handhold: revised and improved, pics

I modified my jig for a better handhold. Takes another 5-10 seconds per box, but hey, it works better for me. Let me know what you think.

handhold.jpg

sideview.jpg

Default Re: Hogan handhold: revised and improved, pics

Looks good.

I cut mine using a jig on a table saw. I only go down the center, may have to think about off setting it and making it wider as well.
    Clay
    BlakelysBees.com

Same handholds I make. They work and look good but I may be a little bias. lol

Looks very nice. The main thing I have found is practice. The more you make, the better they look.

Any invention can be made better. Look at all the improvements to the bee trap. Must be hundreds now.

Westernbeekeeper.... How about sharing what you did to improve it.

cchoganjr

Looks good....I would also like to know what modification made to the jig to give it that look.

djdup... Perhaps Westernbeekeeper will answer how he did it, but, I have made that look also. To make it you need a steeper angle on the ramps (say 25 to 45 degree angle) and make the ramps thicker, (say 2 1/2 inch) so you can slide the saw to the right and come down 2 or 3 times to make the cut wider. (by wider here I mean left to right)

The more shallow the angle of the ramps the more width the hand hold will have. (top to bottom = width here). A steeper angle will make it less width, again (top to bottom = width)

Hope this is not confusing.

EDITED I went back and read the instructions, and watched the video (Had not done that in quite a while) , to increase the angle, and make the hand hold less width, (top to bottom), increase the base of the ramps to 2 1/2 X 6 1/2 rather than 2 X 6 1/2. You will also need to increase the end stops to 3 inches because they are now 2 1/2 inch.

cchoganjr
    Last edited by Cleo C. Hogan Jr; 11-12-2013 at 05:31 PM.

Thanks for the info Mr. Hogan...I build your jig a few years ago and made countless hand holds with it and has gotten a little worn so it is time to make another one. I will try this on the next one....Thanks.

All I did was re-space the ramps by an inch or so, and that gives room for blade-play and a wider hold.

Thanks, westernbeekeeper... That is what I thought you did.

When experimenting with this I found that sometimes the 2d or 3rd slide down would not be even with the first slide. To correct this, and make a nicer hand hold, you can release the clamp on the right side, push the jig in approximately 3/8 inch, reclamp, make a new pass down, and it will make the bottom of the hand hold even . I also like the more narrow (top to bottom of hand hold) that westernbeekeeper makes. To make it more narrow, just increase the angle of the ramps to 25 or 30 degrees.

Nice work. Thanks, westernbeekeeper.

cchoganjr

My jig for the table saw is almost exactly the same as the Hogan jig, except it is set up to hold the box side, not the saw. One thing not mentioned is that you should also tilt the angle of the saw blade to offset the angle of the sled if you would like the handhold to be perpendicular to the side and not angled. A little bit helps a lot on a wet day to prevent the handle from slipping off your fingers.

papa... Yes, you are correct. Unfortunately those plans, and the video, were made up a few years ago, and I forgot to mention to set the saw base on 20 degrees.

Thanks.

EDITED..... I went back and read the instructions I send out, and found that in the instructions I say to set the saw base on 17 degrees. Either one will work.

cchoganjr
    Last edited by Cleo C. Hogan Jr; 11-16-2013 at 10:42 AM. Reason: correction