Default Question for the experienced apiarists

On week one, the hive appeared healthy and well. little brood. fall season.
    On week three, only the queen and about 100 bees remained. No brood. Plenty of honey. fall season
    had just treated for mites and nosema. No dead bees in or in front of hive.
    On week five, hive with 1/2 inch of "sawdust" apearing piles of fine wax flakes. Very attractive to visiting bees and lots of dead bees in the hive. Sticky "sawdust" (prob wax) everywhere.

I removed it from the other nearby healthy hives and am not sure what the sawdust appearing wax particles are all about. I assume CCD initially. No evidence of mite overgrowth, or AFB, moths, etc.
    Thanks

Default Re: Question for the experienced apiarists

Sounds like wax caps and part of cell walls that are torn apart during a robbing frenzy.
    I am not sure what would have caused the initial population hit on the hive but the damage you are now seeing I believe is from the robbing frenzy of the other hive nearby. That would also account for some of the bee bodies you are seeing in the hive. They died in the last defence.
    Old Guy in Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by goatdoc View Post
    On week one, the hive appeared healthy and well.
    What were your mite counts prior to treating? Sometimes hives that are heavily loaded with mites will appear healthy, but then collapse suddenly as you described due to extreme mite pressure. If that's the case, mite treatment probably should have been done 6-8 weeks ago.
    To everything there is a season....

Agree with JR and Mike, Hive weakened by heavy mite load, hive then robbed out by other hives.

I had the same happen. But I had few dead bees. I think what happened in mine was a late season swarm, and did not requeen successfully.

This will boost the statistics of the bee survey of treated hives that died. I agree with the above, most likely scenario treated for mites too late, weakened by mites, robbed, and died.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Quote Originally Posted by goatdoc View Post

I removed it from the other nearby healthy hives
    Thanks
    since it was robbed out and the mites may or may not have been dead, I would check the healthy hives again for mites.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon