Default Beekeeper's Corner Podcast - Episode 46 Posted

I wanted to pass along that our latest episode is posted. Topics for this show include a look back on CCD and where research is taking us, a feature on research that shows a link between the Neonic Imidacloprid and Nosema, a review of a product called Honey Powder and a few other odds and ends.

To give a listen subscribe to us in iTunes or visit our webpage - www.bkcorner.org.
    There you can find our back catalog or click a link to listen to the most recent version.

Enjoy,
    Kevin Inglin

Default Re: Beekeeper's Corner Podcast - Episode 46 Posted

I started listening to old episodes of this podcast a month or so ago. When I"m working late i keep them playing in the background and pick up a few tidbits of info here and there. Overall I find them pretty informative for a beginner and I rather enjoy listening to them. Kevin, thanks for taking the time to put them together.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the show, I have been enjoying them.

You inspire me to do more research before our podcasts.

Cheers for posting…Gary
    Gary Fawcett
    We blog and Podcast about beekeeping at http://kiwimana.co.nz

Hi Kevin,
    I have been listening for about a Year now and enjoy the podcast.
    Being a beekeeper from Kentucky, I was pleased to hear about the Girl Scouts of Lexington in episode 46.
    I am always glad to hear stories of today's youth becoming interested in beekeeping.
    Your hard work on your podcast was not gone unnoticed in Kentucky.
    I have hope that this generation or the next will be able to repair the damage brought about by the ones before.
    The key will be in the sharing of information old and new.
    I applaud you for your efforts and like the Girl Scouts in Lexington, I will be listening.

Thanks,
    Steve Cole

Thanks for the comments. I guess you can say it is a labor of love. Steve, my son is a boy scout and I so appreciate what those programs bring to youth.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve459 View Post
    Hi Kevin,
    I have hope that this generation or the next will be able to repair the damage brought about by the ones before.
    The key will be in the sharing of information old and new.
    Thanks,
    Steve Cole
    Referring to previous generations in general or beekeepers specifically? I'd like to know what you are referring to. PM me.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

I was referring to the last 40 or 50 years in beekeeping. The introduction of harmful pests and poor management practices that forced so many beekeepers to quit. The ways that modern agriculture manages crops and the many pesticides used today. I used the word agriculture for lack of a better one. The "culture" was dropped years ago and replaced with Business . I have to ponder whether in the millions of years the honey bee has been on earth. Have the last hundred years been the hardest for them? Are we their protector or destructor. I suppose that given all the natural disasters bees have weathered in their existence, that we are nothing more that a mite for them to shake off and then move on with their Business. While mankind slowly fade's to black.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve459 View Post
    I was referring to the last 40 or 50 years in beekeeping. The introduction of harmful pests and poor management practices that forced so many beekeepers to quit. Are we their protector or destructor.
    "the last 40 or 50 years in beekeeping" which you yourself have been a part of. Is this a case of you feeling guilty for participating in all that has gone on? Who introduced the harmful pests? Who forces practices on others? Who is to blame for poor management practices>

Are we protectors of beef cattle?
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Not Guilty...I fell more like a awakening. I have never used chemicals. I believe we do our best as beekeeper each in his own way.
    As for cattle years ago they ate only grass and hay in a open field like they were intended, But in our infinite wisdom we thought if more profitable to have them stand in a crowed lot and feed they corn. Then wonder why they get sick. Its been the same for bees and all livestock. I do not exclude myself from reasonability for mistakes in the past. I will just say "The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect a different result." Albert Einstein

Angry Re: Beekeeper's Corner Podcast - Episode 46 Posted

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    "the last 40 or 50 years in beekeeping" which you yourself have been a part of. Is this a case of you feeling guilty for participating in all that has gone on? Who introduced the harmful pests? Who forces practices on others? Who is to blame for poor management practices>

Are we protectors of beef cattle?
    Really???? It's like a hostile environment in here. The purpose of this section of the forum is to announce episodes and blog post features.

Why SQKCRK do you feel compelled to break in here for a supporting sentence at the bottom of a post intended to display gratitude for ones contributions. I might not win favor with the gods by picking sides but did you have to call him out? Was it really that important that you couldn't just go "eh, that was not to my liking" and move on? I'm all for a healthy debate but this type of nonsense is why I don't post much on these forums. It is responses like the one you posted that are in the tone of bullying IMO and weaken the premise of collaboration and learning. Would you rather he just go away rather then contribute in what way he can?

I often sit in a room of beekeepers from all walks of life. Professional corporate types to ingenious, self creative mountain men lifestyles and they all get along because they love the bees. Their lifestyles are in direct conflict with each other but they maintain decorum and don't start calling each other names. To say their lifestyles and philosophies don't align is completely accurate yet they can be civil to one other. Around here there are individuals who can't mind their manners and be civil.

I won't get into a raging debate but I will end with what I'll consider the last word. Give it a rest and don't be a troll. Take the high road and move along or flame me all you want, that's your choice. But you might as well now that I won't engage in a debate with you.