Thread: Bee Tree

Default Bee Tree

I had a logger call me a few days ago letting me know he has a bee tree in his log pile and asked if I wanted to come get it. I said sure. So I went expecting a rotted out old tree. What I found instead is a 20 inch diameter sugar maple that looked healthy and solid. After looking for a bit I found the old rotted branch which turned into the entrance for the bees. So I had him cut above and below the hive. Now I have a 6 foot long log filled with bees.

Now what the heck do I do with a log filled with honeybees?

Thoughts:

Default Re: Bee Tree

Post in the correct forum? That being said, wait to see if the bees make I through the winter then either catch the swarms that come from it, cut them out, or cut the top to expose a hole and put a box on top and wait for them to come up.

Why would this be the incorrect forum? Dont commercial beekeepers get beelogs once in a while?

This is actually the second beelog given to me. The first one I cut in half and pulled the bees and brood out and put in box. Not looking for that adventure again. I do like the idea of putting a box on top and waiting for them to migrate up to it. The logger actually clipped the top of the hive and didnt realize it. So I nailed a piece of 1/2 inch plywood to the top before I propped the log upright. I also thought about keeping it just as a conversation piece.

IMO most comercial keeps dont have time to "play" with logs or swarms, this will probably get more replies in "swarms and cut out" sectoin.
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Exactly. Unless a swarm is within 10minutes from
    Me and within arms reach I don't have time. The only exception is a concerned bee yard owner. Other then that,,, "no time" sigh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1u1PMZsDtA

I have beginning and end videos of this cut out too. Let me know if you want to see them.
    Last edited by Lauri; 11-10-2013 at 01:01 PM.

Lauri that is just how I extracted the last bee tree I had. That was years ago and I am not in that mode anymore. Thanks for sharing the Youtube link.

So honeyman and HEintz you are both correct. I dont have time to monkey with the tree. I just wanted folks thoughts on it. I already know what I am going to do with the tree, which consequently is what I already did with it. Its standing up on end down by my pond and I will enjoy a hive of bees I NEVER work!

Yes it was actually 2 minutes from one of my yards. Who knows. Maybe I just got back a swarm I lost earlier.

Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape