Default Doggone seed catalogs~!

Seed catalogs are pouring in. My problem is on my residential lot, something has to die, to plant anything else. If I had an acre it would be an orchard! If you had to pick one zone 3/4 apple, pear, plum or apricot, which one would it be? I realize that they all need pollinators.

Default Re: Doggone seed catalogs~!

Bees love apple blossoms. I love apples.

I love apples too and am looking for peoples favorite varieties that are capable of surviving my climate.

When is the best time to plant a tree? Answer........... 20 years ago!
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

we planted 2 honeycrisp trees last year. they have only been available a couple years. love them from the store, looking forward to a crop. we have almost 3 acres and my wife has most of it in food production. we have some old variety apple trees, but i never remember which ones. i was up in vaughn 2 weeks ago picking up an airedale pup. we order mostly from johnnys seeds and fedco for cold hardy stock.

Order your seeds and a black ski mask. Then seed the neighbors lots at night. Don't forget to put on the ski mask.

http://privateislandparty.com/produc...FYN_QgodMQIAig

Water balloons with seeds in them works best over the fence.

Product Description

Three Hole Knit Ski Mask - Black 3056 - Made of 100% acrylic knit. One Size fits most for an adult, stretchable size. Will cover the entire neck for most adults. Also is perfect for robbing a bank, (we accept no liability here) the crown measures 15 inches long, 6 inches wide, 2 layers and the hole measures 5 inches wide.

This Three hole knit ski mask is warm, preforated and very breathable. Available in many colors.This ribbed ski mask is perfect for all those cold weather months, outdoor activities and just like our navy ski mask, but black for an extra nice look that will make strangers love you. Our black ski mask provides a great way to get through the crowded streets of large cities. This is because for some reason, everyone will politely move away and create a path just for you. Something about a ski masks seems to bring out the best in people!

When it's nippy outside and you need to bury something fast, just grab your trusty black ski mask. Wear it proudly as you plant a new flower bed at 1 in the morning. If anyone sees you, don't worry about it. Neighbors will appreciate the fact that you took an extra effort to surprise everyone in the community. TADA!

Pears need a lot less care and can be grown with no spraying, if
    that is an issue for you. Pick a blight resistant variety. I think there are a few self pollinating varieties. Grandpas Orchard has many varieties, and I think it's in MN so should be cold hardy.

Fuji apples taste great, are pest free and hang on the tree for a long time without getting too ripe.

Thanks for the regional tip. I have bees a few miles from Vaughn. Thanks for the input folks. I have pears and apples already and want to squeeze in a couple more things. I have discovered espalier.

Quote Originally Posted by justin View Post
    we planted 2 honeycrisp trees last year. they have only been available a couple years. love them from the store, looking forward to a crop. we have almost 3 acres and my wife has most of it in food production. we have some old variety apple trees, but i never remember which ones. i was up in vaughn 2 weeks ago picking up an airedale pup. we order mostly from johnnys seeds and fedco for cold hardy stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    I love apples too and am looking for peoples favorite varieties that are capable of surviving my climate.
    Are you aware of St. Lawrence Nursery? This is a Zone 4 company, but they have many fruit trees that grow in even harsher climates, and rate the varieties based on hardiness, as well as many other factors. Just Google the name. I seem to recall that they have over 150 apple varieties.

They don't sell trees on dwarfing rootstocks, however. Their view is that the growing season in the North Country is too brief for dwarfs.
    Ray--1 year, 7 hives, TF

You could also go around to the neighbors and ask them to plant some apple/pair trees on their properties. If someone came to me and offered to plant and all I had to do was watch I would do it. You might also create a neighborhood beautification committee and you are the chair of course and tell them that they need to pay for the trees and the committee will plant them. Don't let anyone come to your meetings or you will have company. Be creative people will love the help on their gardens by you and you get what you need seeded around the neighborhood. Pick up a few extra lavender plants when you are out and take them to the new family on the block and plant it for them. The more local food you have the less you need to feed.