Thread: New Beekeeper

Default New Beekeeper

Hello!

I am new to beekeeping here in Maine; I installed my first package in May 2013 and have had several very interesting, fun, and confusing times to say the least. They swarmed not once but twice (may have added a super prematurely). Both times we "caught" them, 30 feet up in the same spot in the same tree. I think I shall cut the tree down We have swarm retrieval down and will now study up on how best to stay ahead of the ladies next year.

I appreciate the opportunity to learn from others in the forums.

Julie

Default Re: New Beekeeper

Welcome to Beesource!

If your swarm retrieval experience means you now have three colonies instead of just the single package you started with, many here would say that you did quite well for a new beekeeper.

I'd think twice about removing that tree. If future swarms go there, you already have experience retrieving them from that tree. If the tree is gone, who knows where the swarm will end up!

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 11-09-2013 at 07:46 AM.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Welcome Julie, glad to have you in the mix.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

Welcome, to much room won't normally cause swarming but I dont know the situation. Good luck and enjoy your new hobby
    I'm not tense, Just terribly, terribly alert!

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Welcome to Beesource!

If your swarm retrieval experience means you now have three colonies instead of just the single package you started with, many here would say that you did quite well for a new beekeeper.

I'd think twice about removing that tree. If future swarms go there, you already have experience retrieving them from that tree. If the tree is gone, who knows where the swarm will end up!

Thank you for your words of encouragement and a more positive view of swarming, I am appreciative. I ended up with two colonies. The swarms happened a week apart so for a few weeks I had three colonies. I was able, with the help of my mentor, to combine the first swarm with the primary colony(it was feeling the impact of the swarmings) and left the second swarm in its new home.

Thanks for your advice about the tree. You are right, if they go to that tree again we will be prepared.
    Julie

Welcome Julie! I would plant those trees all over town not cut them down if it was me.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com