Default Varrox and Varrocleaner Oxalic Acid Vaporizers:

Varrox and Varrocleaner Oxalic Acid Vaporizers:

Beekeepers now have a greater choice in vaporizers. We now carry both the Varrocleaner and the Varrox Oxalic Acid Vaporizers. We recommend the Varrocleaner for those with 10 hives or less and the Varrox for those with more than 10 hives or wish to have the “Cadillac” of vaporizers.

Both are quality vaporizers, however the Varrox is the one mentioned by Randy Oliver on his website (Scientific Beekeeping) as “One of the highest ranked models.” It is the one you’ll pass down to your son. Unlike other vaporizers, both are ready to go right out the box, require no additional wiring and have no glow-plug that may need replacing. With a little electric ingenuity you can connect several vaporizers to treat multiple hives at the same time. Both require approximately 2 ½ minutes to vaporize. We recommend that you “test fire” either vaporizer before use to find out the time YOUR battery may require to completely vaporize the acid.
    With other treatment methods, you need to purchase them over & over and at substantial cost. With vaporization, you have a one-time cost for the vaporizer and the treatments are almost pennies per treatment.

Some differences between the two:
    The Varrox can be cooled by plunging in a pail of water to cool down after use. With the Varrocleaner, you must use a wet rag or sponge.
    The Varrox has a stainless steel pan that vaporizes the OA more efficiently than the aluminum one on the Varrocleaner.
    The Varrocleaner has a seal to stabilize the unit in the hive and trap vapors. The Varrox has “wings” that stabilize it.

General:
    The vaporization of oxalic acid in beehives is a proven method of killing both Varroa & Tracheal mites. Load the cup of the vaporizer with one gram (per brood chamber) of oxalic acid (wood bleach that you can purchase on Ebay or at your hardware store) insert it in the hive and connect it to any 12 volt car battery. The vaporization will complete in 2 1/2 minutes. Leave it in the hive for a minute more to seal in the vapors and you're finished! Remember to seal the hive for 10 minutes after you remove the vaporizer to lock in the vapors. Cut pieces of foam work just great.

Now is the time to make sure your hives are set for winter. With little or no brood, vaporization has a 96% mite kill efficacy. If the outside temperature is 40 degrees (f) or above, you are safe to vaporize.

Both are listed on EBay. See links below:

Varrox Vaporizer

Varrocleaner Vaporizer

Beesource members who private message me with their PayPal email address save $10 (as I will not need to pay Ebay selling fees and will pass the savings onto you.)

Larry
    Last edited by snl; 11-09-2013 at 07:23 AM.

Default Re: Varrox and Varrocleaner Oxalic Acid Vaporizers:

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    What are the dimensions of the pan you insert in that holds the OA? How long is the probe, shaft that holds it?
    On the Varrocleaner Oxalic Acid Vaporizer: It is a 20 1/8" in total length. Length of the rod (shaft) that is (can be) placed in the hive is 15 3/4". The pan is 2" by 1 5/8" and 7/16" high. I'll have the dimensions of the Varrox OA Vaporizer shortly.
    Last edited by snl; 11-17-2013 at 06:26 AM.

Is there a video of the Varrox in use? EDIT: found one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotat...&v=MKDdrmM4UqY

From the manufacture on the Varrox, 14 mm X 90 mm or .55" X 3.54" However, if needed you can trim the "wings," as they are just there to stabilize the vaporizer in the hive. The last shipment was quickly sold & I'm awaiting a new one scheduled for delivery on Nov 22nd. When they arrive, I'll list the measurements again as I did on the Varrocleaner.
    Last edited by snl; 11-19-2013 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    Still interested in dimensions of varrox
    New Varrox shipment just arrived and those who have ordered and paid will have their units shipped today (11/21/13). The Varrox is 14" long from where the cord attaches to the shaft to the end of the pan. The pan is 1 7/8" in diameter and 3/8" deep. The "wings" that are attached to the shaft and serve to stabilize it in the hive are 3 3/8" from tip to tip. If needed the wings can be trimmed to fit the opening of the hive.
    Last edited by snl; 11-21-2013 at 07:52 PM.

Sure looks like a nice unit Larry. Were I in the market for a unit like that I'd buy one from you. Maybe I should make the trip from Conway to Manning for a first hand demonstration.

I hope your Sale goes well.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

I just bought the Varrocleaner and wanted to say thanks snl for the fast friendly service.I should have bought one sooner, look out mites here I come.

If you've logged into Beesource the last several days you could not but notice the ongoing discussion concerning Oxalic Acid Vaporization. There is a lot of good information in those posts. If you decided the OA vaporization is right for you, NOW is the time to do so. The efficacy rate using OA vaporization with your hives now basically broodless is above 95%. That's darn good! If you have daytime temps 40 degrees or higher, which many still do or at least have a day above that temperature, you can treat. Going into winter with low mite counts is one of the two biggest (the other being adequate stores) keys to hive survival.

If you look further down in this thread, I've links to OA vaporizers sold on Ebay (or you can just click on my signature line.)

Look at the feedback I've received here and on Ebay from those who have purchased. Remember, anyone who sends me a PM with their PAYPAL address gets $10 off the Ebay price.

Don't let your hives die off this winter due to either a lack of stores or mites. Treat for mites now!

> where can I get Oxalic Acid?

A hardware store often carries it. Its is often called "wood bleach". Here one example:
    http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=4378333
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by dphillipm View Post
    where can I get Oxalic Acid?
    It is also available on Ebay..

Hey snl, got my vaporizer a few days ago & used it today for the first time... Works great!!! The bees and I thank you!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Juhani Lunden View Post
    It is good to remember, that oxalic acid is extremely poisonous to humans by breathing.
    You are so correct. Warnings not to breathe the vapors need to be heeded!

There is still time to do those all important winter mite treatments! Anytime the temps are 40(f) and above you can treat. The two main causes of winter loss are lack stores and mites, both of which you can control.

Don't forget, BS members will get an additional $10 off the website (OxaVap.com) price when they PM their Name and email address AFTER purchasing. Don't lose your hives to mites, treat with a proven mitecide. Remember, with a broodless hive, you'll kill 95% of the mites!
    Last edited by snl; 01-20-2014 at 11:47 AM.

If you've logged into Beesource the last several days you could not but notice more ongoing discussion concerning Oxalic Acid Vaporization. There is a lot of good information in those posts. If you decided the OA vaporization is right for you, NOW may be a good time to do so. The efficacy rate using OA vaporization with your hives now basically broodless is above 95%. That's darn good! If you have daytime temps 40 degrees or higher, which many still do or at least have a day above that temperature, you can treat. Going thru winter with low mite counts is one of the two biggest (the other being adequate stores) keys to hive survival.

Don't let your hives die off this winter due to either a lack of stores or mites. Treat for mites now!

Go to OxaVap.com to purchase. There are many links there to information regarding OAV. Remember that BS members who purchase there and PM back their Name and email address will receive a $10 rebate.

f you decided the OA vaporization is right for you, NOW may be a good time to do so. The efficacy rate using OA vaporization with your hives now basically broodless is above 95%. That's darn good! If you have daytime temps 40 degrees or higher, which many still do or at least have a day above that temperature, you can treat. Coming thru winter with low mite counts is one of the two biggest (the other being adequate stores) keys to hive survival.

Go to OxaVap.com to purchase. There are many links there to information regarding OAV and a video showing how to vaporize. Remember that BS members who purchase there and PM back their Name and email address will receive a $10 rebate.
    Last edited by snl; 02-17-2014 at 05:48 AM.

Varrox and Varrocleaner Oxalic Acid Vaporizers:

Beekeepers now have a greater choice in vaporizers. We have both the Varrocleaner and the Varrox Oxalic Acid Vaporizers. We recommend the Varrocleaner for those with 10 hives or less and the Varrox for those with more than 10 hives or wish to have the “Cadillac” of vaporizers.

Both are quality vaporizers, however the Varrox is the one mentioned by Randy Oliver on his website (Scientific Beekeeping) as “One of the highest ranked models.” It is the one you’ll pass down to your son. Unlike other vaporizers, both are ready to go right out the box, require no additional wiring and have no glow-plug that may need replacing. With a little electric ingenuity you can connect several vaporizers to treat multiple hives at the same time. Both require approximately 2 ½ minutes to vaporize. We recommend that you “test fire” either vaporizer before use to find out the time YOUR battery may require to completely vaporize the acid.

With other treatment methods, you need to purchase them over & over and at substantial cost. With vaporization, you have a one-time cost for the vaporizer and the treatments are almost pennies per treatment.

Some differences between the two:
    The Varrox can be cooled by plunging in a pail of water to cool down after use. With the Varrocleaner, you must use a wet rag or sponge.
    The Varrox has a stainless steel pan that vaporizes the OA more efficiently than the aluminum one on the Varrocleaner.
    The Varrocleaner has a seal to stabilize the unit in the hive and trap vapors. The Varrox has “wings” that stabilize it.

General:
    The vaporization of oxalic acid in beehives is a proven method of killing both Varroa & Tracheal mites. Load the cup of the vaporizer with one gram (per brood chamber) of oxalic acid (wood bleach that you can purchase on Ebay or at your Ace hardware store where is known as "Savogran) insert it in the hive and connect it to any 12 volt car battery. The vaporization will complete in 2 1/2 minutes. Leave it in the hive for a minute more to seal in the vapors and you're finished! Remember to seal the hive for 10 minutes after you remove the vaporizer to lock in the vapors. Cut pieces of foam work just great.

You MUST remove or place place a sheet of cardboard/coroplast/plywood between the brood chambers and supers if you treat with the supers on. During the brood rearing stage (spring and summer,) you must do 3 successive weekly treatments to kill the mites that are emerging with the brood. OA only kills the phoretic mites (the mites outside of brood, on the bees). I treat whenever I find mites in drone brood.

Both are listed on Oxavap.com

Beesource members who private message me here on BS after purchasing on Oxavap.com with their email address save $10 will get a $10 rebate!

I have a varrox vapourizer...it works well and is easy to use.
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

To those who have purchased either the Varrox or Varrocleaner Vaporizer, please feel free to leave your comments on this thread!

Thanks to all purchasers and please recommend these vaporizers to you fellow beekeepers!

Remember, the only good mite is a vaporized one!

I have a Heilyser and bought OxaVaps version. I use both as I wanted two to got thru the field faster. I prefer the VarroaCleaner by OxaVap and it cost less. wish I had two of them....
    Robbin Harrell NW Florida(8A) / 12 hives / 2 nd Year / 4 TF - 8 T