Default New here from Torrance, Ca

Hey all,

I'm moving in a few months to a place with a back yard and would like to get into keeping bees. In 3-5 years I hope to move out of the city to a farm / ranch. When I add beekeeping into the mix, it about completes the picture of my farm. Vegetables everywhere needing pollination, and the hillsides and any area not already occupied by crops or Catfish / Crayfish pond, covered in white clover, and blue and yellow flowers. And the honey! YUMM! The one rule for the farm will be NO pesticides or chemicals and NO GMO crops EVER! I'm sick of what's available at the grocery store and don't want to have anything to do with it anymore. I'll also be raising catfish and a few animals. Crops aside from the vegetables you see at the market would be, wheat and barley, tobacco (I understand that bees just love tobacco), and a lot of corn. By using Aquaponics there will be no need for chemical nutrients, and the plants will have plenty of healthy water to consume. Healthy plants = healthy Bees. In a couple years I hope to start with some Bees. I'll be asking around who wouldn't mind splitting a hive.

Default Re: New here from Torrance, Ca

Welcome to Beesource!

You have ambitious plans, good luck!

Bees are important pollinators, but their interest in pollinating vegetables and grains varies. Honeybees are not significant pollinators of corn, wheat, barley or tomatoes, for instance. My bees certainly do like asparagus blooms. As far as pollinating tobacco, this may be of interest:
    http://www.nccrops.com/2012/07/20/ca...tobacco-honey/
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

That's good to know. Last night reading posts on here I learned that they love flowering cauliflower for example.

Welcome Chris!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com