Default Mann Lake 2 frame extractor

Anyone buy one of these? I usually do crush and strain, but this isn't such a big investment to have hanging around for when I wanted to spin. I would love feedback from y'all. I'm definitely a hobby person. Thanks. In case anyone wants one, here's the link. $159, regularly $200.

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeepin...ampaign=HH-130

Default Re: Mann Lake 2 frame extractor

I don't have one but I was at Mann Lake and saw one. It looked pretty sturdy.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

I have one, for kids to use on school "Pioneer Days" and as a totally portable unit.
    The unit is completely serviceable and sufficient. The plastic baskets are likely the eventual weak point. Mine is at least six years old (they were sold as $79 loss leaders by both ML and Dadant back in the day).

I have had to readjust the gear mesh (fixed by loosening screws and ovalizing holes). The hand crank had the rivet holding the wooden handle loosen (fixed by peening over the rivet head.

The drum holds only a gallon or so of honey before it rises to the bottom of the baskets. One needs to drain off the flow regularly, but this is an advantage with the kids waiting eagerly for their harvest.

Cranking to speed and stopping requires a light touch to avoid breaking comb. Works better with mediums when the operators are excited kids. Once thought I might add additional mesh to the basket to hold the comb better, but never have.

Kids really like to run these units. Helps to have a whole "Tom Sawyer" crew, while you watch.

JW, very helpful info. Thanks so much. The description says this is new, but I'll bet it's similar. I know it's not a lot of cash outlay, but I'd certainly not like to just throw the money away.

I just ordered a Vivo extractor from Amazon for about 180 counting shipping. It's stainless steel and the cheapest metal one I could find. I just have two new hives and didn't even get to harvest yet. If I expand, I want to sell mostly nucs instead of honey, so it will hopefully be big enough for a while. I hope it's a good one. Has anyone heard anything about them?

So kenww how do you like the vivo extractor?

I haven't had any honey yet. Just started last spring. The quality seems fine. Not really any instructions. Hopefully, l'll have honey in a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenww View Post
    I haven't had any honey yet. Just started last spring. The quality seems fine. Not really any instructions. Hopefully, l'll have honey in a few weeks.
    Have you tried it yet, I'm looking to buy one and word of mouth is the best knowledge, plus I'm married I'd hate to get something and didn't work I'd have to listen to her "LOL"

We had the Mann-Lake for several years & I cannot say anything bad about it. Extracted well, no sharp edges, easy to crank. When I got my Maxant, I sold it to a hobbyist with 2 hives and he still loves it. You can't go wrong.