Thread: Bee vacum

Default Bee vacum

I made this yesterday. The vac. , bucket and hose = $ 45.00. The screened box was made from scrap that I had. The bottom
    comes off.

Thanks for looking.

Default Re: Bee vacum

Very nice! Best wishes for many swarm vac's this year to ya.
    "A good day is when no one shows up and you don't have to go anywhere." - Burt Shavitz (Burt's Buzz)

Just curious but did you build in a way to adjust the suction?
    There are no bad questions, only bad people.
    No ma'am that ain't my bee, all my bees is branded.

I left the inlet port on the buckethead open. With two intake vacuum holes the suction is reduced quite a bit.
    I might drill another hole in the bucket and cover it with a sliding cover, so that I can adjust the suction.
    Thanks for the idea.

Nice unit, I have been looking to build one also and have thought of the homer bucket. Could you post more pics? This looks like a great idea.

I bought the hose and tapered ends at a vacuum cleaner / sewing machine repair store. The tapered ends fit real tight in the wooden box.

Hope the pics help.

Outstanding, you really did a great job. I need to fabricate a setup such as this. Thanks for your sharing with us.

That's ingenious.

I think it will.certainly vac up bees.

It's a pretty small container, though and I would anticipate a need to empty it frequently to avoid killing a lot of bees due to overheating.

If that should prove to be a problem (and maybe it won't) I made and successfully used a simple vac Iddee shared here on Beesource.

If it is useful to you, here is the link he shared to pics showing details of its construction:

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/Iddee/BEE%20VAC/

I never use my bucket vacs anymore since going to a Bushkill/Robo/Iddee vac. Less risk of suffocation, easier transfer of bees at end of project.

I can see the advantage of the simplistic transfer of the girls, very nice

I'm retired now. But after 33 years as an outside tech for the phone co. I realized early on that there is more than one way to get the job done. The end result is the same.
    I built the inner chamber with a sliding door to keep them in. That way I can take them out of the bucket, that way they get plenty of air. I also built two chambers. In case there are a lot of bee's.
    I'm new to bee keeping. Lot's to learn. When I got my 3lb package of bee's last April. The screened box was smaller than what I made.
    My bee's are in a top bar hive and doing very well. I made a lang. hive and am trying to catch a swarm or remove an unwanted hive that needs
    relocated.

Thanks for looking and the comments. I learn something new almost every day.

I planned to make a bucket vac this yr as well, I haven't finished mine, but if you google "moots bee vac" you can find pictures of the original that I'm going to replicate.