Thread: Bee vacum

Default Bee vacum

I made this yesterday. The vac. , bucket and hose = $ 45.00. The screened box was made from scrap that I had. The bottom
    comes off.

Thanks for looking.

Default Re: Bee vacum

Very nice! Best wishes for many swarm vac's this year to ya.
    Live life with gusto, having no regrets, being thankful every day, and cherish each moment as it happens.

Just curious but did you build in a way to adjust the suction?
    There are no bad questions, only bad people.
    No ma'am that ain't my bee, all my bees is branded.

I left the inlet port on the buckethead open. With two intake vacuum holes the suction is reduced quite a bit.
    I might drill another hole in the bucket and cover it with a sliding cover, so that I can adjust the suction.
    Thanks for the idea.

Nice unit, I have been looking to build one also and have thought of the homer bucket. Could you post more pics? This looks like a great idea.

I bought the hose and tapered ends at a vacuum cleaner / sewing machine repair store. The tapered ends fit real tight in the wooden box.

Hope the pics help.

Outstanding, you really did a great job. I need to fabricate a setup such as this. Thanks for your sharing with us.

That's ingenious.

I think it will.certainly vac up bees.

It's a pretty small container, though and I would anticipate a need to empty it frequently to avoid killing a lot of bees due to overheating.

If that should prove to be a problem (and maybe it won't) I made and successfully used a simple vac Iddee shared here on Beesource.

If it is useful to you, here is the link he shared to pics showing details of its construction:

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/Iddee/BEE%20VAC/

I never use my bucket vacs anymore since going to a Bushkill/Robo/Iddee vac. Less risk of suffocation, easier transfer of bees at end of project.

I can see the advantage of the simplistic transfer of the girls, very nice

I'm retired now. But after 33 years as an outside tech for the phone co. I realized early on that there is more than one way to get the job done. The end result is the same.
    I built the inner chamber with a sliding door to keep them in. That way I can take them out of the bucket, that way they get plenty of air. I also built two chambers. In case there are a lot of bee's.
    I'm new to bee keeping. Lot's to learn. When I got my 3lb package of bee's last April. The screened box was smaller than what I made.
    My bee's are in a top bar hive and doing very well. I made a lang. hive and am trying to catch a swarm or remove an unwanted hive that needs
    relocated.

Thanks for looking and the comments. I learn something new almost every day.

I planned to make a bucket vac this yr as well, I haven't finished mine, but if you google "moots bee vac" you can find pictures of the original that I'm going to replicate.