Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Buying an Extractor

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    Is there any bee clubs (associations) close to you in Deford Homemaid? I know there is one located in the S.E. part of our state.
    I was going to suggest you contact one near you. Often, they have new extractors you can rent a couple of times a year. Renting is by far the cheapest route over purchasing.
    We belong to 2 different clubs and I know one has an extractor but we prefer to buy our own. Thank you though some may see this who cannot afford to purchase.

If H.T. krantz can have free shipping why can't Maxant do the same? I'm sure there are some Maxant people on here....

Homemaid. . . I assume that post 17 is them. They're listening. It is a good question.

Quote Originally Posted by Homemaid View Post
    If H.T. krantz can have free shipping why can't Maxant do the same? I'm sure there are some Maxant people on here....
    Usually, that's just a sign that the supplier with free shipping artificially inflates their prices so that it doesn't matter if the client requires it shipped, essentially making extra profits on those who go buy it directly. It's not actually cheaper because the shipping is "free", it's just a hidden cost, a lure.

> I'm sure there are some Maxant people on here...

Indeed.
    One of them has the Beesource member ID of MAXANT.

I don't speak for Maxant, but if they offer free shipping, their dealers may feel that they are being undercut. That isn't very good for a manufacturer's dealer relationship.

But if a particular dealer wants to cut their margin on extractor sales in order to offer free shipping, the customer comes out ahead.

P.S. Some Beesource members have been successful in talking Jake at Maxant out a free Maxant hat ...
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...100p-extractor
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I want to thank all of you for your input. We took the plunge and ordered the Maxant 3100P from H.T. Krantz with the free shipping. It is on a 4-5 week back order but they are at Maxant also and you pay for shipping. Now just have to wait a little bit for it to get here. Thank you again for all you comments.

Maybe Maxant should send me a ball cap for choosing their product.....

I recently was in a similar position looking for a quality extractor for my small honey farm. One key issue for me was the gauge stainless steel used. Several brands had thinner more flimsy steel sides. I ended up choosing the Maxant 3100, it has 20 gauge stainless steel and is a solid dependable extractor.
    Let's Eat Grandmaw ........... Let's Eat, Grandmaw.......Grammar Saves Lives

I bought directly from Maxant and they did free shipping. Good folks but they were running several weeks behind stated ship date. Still, a very good company to work with and I will buy from them again.

I bought an 18 frame from Mann Lake. Had it in two days, free shipping, and its the best purchase I have made in the beekeeping hobby. Easy to load and easy to clean when I'm finished extracting.

We went with the Maxant but are at the bare bones basic version with the intention to upgrade as we go along. When the honey we extracted with it last summer is sold that money will be put toward the next upgrade. everyone is voting for power over capacity. They don't know it yet but I plan to fully upgrade it in one step. The bees did good with the honey this year. well at least good enough.

Only problem we have had with the Maxant is keeping it portable yet being able to mount it solidly enough for extracting. I woudl love to have a dedicated room and just bolt the thing to the floor. Easy to clean. no problem scraping the honey from the tank for very little lost honey and easy to move around. I would buy it again without hesitation.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

I just bought a used 20 frame maxant. The guy I bought it from had another 20 frame he had installed wheels on (the type under a dolly). I think he just locked down the wheels when he was extracting with it. Otherwise, it's not a light machine. The cast iron legs (very sturdy) make the whole package come in over 100 lbs, I'd think.

hedges, the extractor works well when bolted to a dolly and the wheels are allowed to rock. See this thread.
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ractor+walking

I went 27 years without an extractor and never missed it. When I did buy one, I went for electric and no less than 18 frames. My 9/18 will fit through the kitchen door and I can move it myself (albiet with some difficulty). I'm glad I held out for a real extractor and not some tiny toy one. Before that I really didn't have enough hives to warrant one. Crush and strain worked fine and is still faster than extracting...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Our extractor came today!! That sure wasn't a 4 wk. back order.. Glad to see it came early....

Excellent!
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    Crush and strain worked fine and is still faster than extracting...
    Michael, Did you have trouble with swarming and did you see a increase in your honey production when you started using a extractor and were giving them back drawn comb? It's interesting that you say it's faster than extracting. How is that?

As a 2nd yr beek I'd recommended buying something comparable to your FINAL hive total. By this I mean if you're gonna expand to 20 hives eventually go with a big 20 frame extractor rather then a 6 frame. This year I only had 2 hives gimme honey because the rest where all splits. Next year I should have 10 hives producing honey and a 6 frame would just plan take to long at the end of the season. Sure a 6 frame would suit me this year but not next. For little more money I have triple to extractor production.

I purchased our extractor from money made selling our first honey as well as selling two hives. For the most part that is how I am doing bees. they make the money needed to expand. They produced a far amount of potential income this past year. I could either sell more hives or manage to get the 100 and some lbs of honey we have sold. That money will then go toward further growth. including upgrades to the extractor and as many as 30 new hives. A big up front cash pay out is not going to happen.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

So do the recommendations change for an extractor between 12-30 frames radial? I have a small extractor now, but I'm looking to step up something bigger and motorized.

I'd like something that can keep up as a I grow until I really need something "BIG"... *grins*
    Solo for the last 4 Years, ~60 Hives, TF + Oils.
    http://tradingwebsites4bees.com

>Michael, Did you have trouble with swarming...

Before or after? I don't see any difference, but I'm not clear on the question.

>...and did you see a increase in your honey production when you started using a extractor and were giving them back drawn comb?

Of course. Bees can fill drawn comb faster than they can draw comb and then fill it.

>...It's interesting that you say it's faster than extracting. How is that?

It is. I can cut a frame of comb out and mash it faster than I can uncap it, put it in the extractor, spin it, pull it out of the extractor... it's just plain faster by a long shot.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast