Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Buying an Extractor

We are ready to purchase an extractor. We are looking at a 4 or 6 frame electric. What kind of help may you offer pros and cons of different brands, models, etc. any help is much appreciated.

Default Re: Buying an Extractor

Maxant will hook you up. I'd go for a radial if you can find one. Personally I got a Mann Lake 18/9. I'd probably go with a Maxant if I had to do it over again, but I can't complain, it gets the job done.

MannLake 18/9 here, too. I am very happy with it.

Do they ever have sales on these or are they always at a set price?

> Do they ever have sales on these?

I have in the past seen Maxant extractors sold at the "regular" price, but with free shipping included for the duration of the sale. You may find an extractor on sale, but that is hard to predict.

Another thread that has some extractor information:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...496#post976496

I suggest you explore the differences between "radial" and "tangential" positioning of honey frames in each extractor that is under consideration. Also, be aware that extractor capacities for "deep" frames may be less than for "medium" frames. There is nothing wrong with that, just be sure you are comparing on an even basis.

If you travel near a location of a major beekeeping supply vendor, check to see if they have any scratch n' dent extractors available at a significant discount. I found a good buy at the Brushy Mtn "Bargain Barn" in NC earlier this year. The one I bought was missing some major parts - like the motor, but there was also another one there that appeared to be pretty complete - at a higher price.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I agree with the above posts,, RADIAL is far superior in my opinion to Tangential--

I have the Maxant for several reasons:
    1. it is radial
    2. the wear parts are not expensive
    3, if the motor goes out it is readily available from grainger, etc,, and it is NOT an expensive variable speed motor,
    4. it is solidly built

and I LIKE IT!!!

As someone who lives in massachusetts, I was fortunate enough to swing by the maxant factory on my way back from a mountain biking trip with my brother.

The people were amazing and they gave us a tour of the factory floor. Quite an operation. I generally think one should buy the highest quality products they can which meet their price points (domestic vs. foreign is a different matter). I can't speak to that first-hand. But I will say that I was very impressed by the people at Maxant.

I bought the Maxant 9 frame, manual, with plans to upgrade to the motor when I can justify the expense. It is very easy to spin. I LOVE it! Made in USA, and the shipping really wasn't bad! ($40 +/-) I agree with the others....Radial!

I have never seen them on sale, and I had no luck trying to find one used, either. You won't regret it, and being able to give the comb back to the bees to refill will make a huge difference in your honey harvests.

Some times at show they will run a special.
    David

Even with just a small apiary, after extracting by hand in a tangential extractor, I decided a powered, radial unit was the way to go. Indeed, a fairly steep expense, but I feel worth it. I chose Maxant; since it is manufactured in the USA by some of my fellow Americans and of outstanding quality. It will probably hold it's value for some time, if I choose to discontinue beekeeping.

Several good extractors on the market. I have the Kelly 9 frame radial (2001): before that I had three different Maxant. All were very good.

You can monitor Craigs List and occasionally find a used one there. They normally go quickly.

I would go radial if you can. If you plan to stay in the 1 to 35 hive range, the 9 frame will do a good job. Motorized, if at all possible. If not, just put 6 frames in the extractor at a time. Easier to turn.

If you want to go tangential, ( non motorized), I would rather have a two frame reversable than a four frame non reversable. Back in the 1990's I used a two frame reversable and I liked not having to remove the frames to turn them around. I like the baskets that it had, which really helped to avoid comb blowout.

You might also check major bee programs in your area this Winter and early Spring. Sometimes the major bee companies will attend those events and they will bring your order for no shipping or reduced shipping.

I use Kelly equipment most of the time because they are nearby, but, In your case, it may all come down to shipping, your hive count, and how much you can afford to spend at this time.

cchoganjr

I have a Dadant 6/12 and it works great. Direct drive variable speed motor. I have had a couple of Kelley 9 frame radials and they work good but the direct drive motor is much easier and smoother to operate.

I do want to buy a US made product. Money is not really the deciding factor. We just want a good dependable extractor. We will probably not run over 10 hives. We do want electric radial.

As far as I am aware, for all the requirements in post #13 for a new extractor, the choices are either Dadant or Kelley or Maxant. Each offers several qualifying models, but here are the least expensive qualifying models:

http://www.dadant.com/catalog/produc...roducts_id=363

http://www.kelleybees.com/Shop/17/Ho...rame-Extractor

http://www.maxantindustries.com/extractors.html

Maxant shows several models at the page above. The 3100P is the one I am referring to.

The USA vs imported information is partly based on this thread:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ant#post976496

The motor itself on the Maxant is manufactured in the UK. I have no information as to the country of origin for the other two motors.

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 11-07-2013 at 11:56 PM. Reason: correction
    Graham

Is there any bee clubs (associations) close to you in Deford Homemaid? I know there is one located in the S.E. part of our state.
    I was going to suggest you contact one near you. Often, they have new extractors you can rent a couple of times a year. Renting is by far the cheapest route over purchasing.

i have too agree that the Maxant people are amazing got a tour of the place and a bottling tank It was a good price and extremely well made. worth the drive for me (12 hrs).

Thanks for all of the positive feedback!
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo C. Hogan Jr View Post
    You can monitor Craigs List and occasionally find a used one there. They normally go quickly.

cchoganjr
    That's what I did. I had planned on buying the Maxant 20 frame radial. I was saving money for the purchase. I am always on craigslist looking for all kinds of things, not just beekeeping equipment. While searching I found a Dadant 20 frame radial extractor an hours drive for me. I paid $900 for the extractor that was in like new condition. New it would have cost $1750 + Shipping
    Pearl City Apiary Michael and Loucil Bach

I was looking for something else, and discovered that H.T.Krantz still seems to be offering free shipping on Maxant extractors. See this link:

http://www.htkbeesupply.com/index.ph...&product_id=86

Free shipping on Maxant extractors is also promoted on their homepage.
    Graham

Thank you I think that is the way we will go. With the Maxant with free shipping...