Hybrid View

Default Question on Timing and effectiveness of OV treatments

I have 2 first year hives that are both pretty healthy and ready for winter in Michigan. Early summer mite counts were Zero. Late summer were maybe 10 mites in 24 hours on sticky board. Early Fall maybe 30 in 24 hours. Late Fall jumped but still not overwhelming.

Because of those numbers I have done no mite treatment at all. Was that a mistake? I understand the strategy of killing off the mites before winter bees are made. But I thought maybe stressing the bees with treatments was worse than dealing with the low mite count.

Second question… recently learning the positives of Oxalic vapor treatments I am considering doing one this weekend? Good idea? Should I wait till winter? Should I do several OV treatments and what intervals?

Thank you

Default Re: Question on Timing and effectiveness of OV treatments

30 is a high number and you said it jumped since then. I think you should treat with something. OAV can be used any time the bees are not clustered. Not sure what else you could use with it cooling off so fast.
    OAV is very effective when the brood counts go down. If you have a vaporizer, I'd start right away. I do weekly treatments, 5 weeks in a row. I don't think you can get 5 weeks in Michigan. But you can sure do a couple. Don't worry about a tight interval. If you get a nice day, treat. a couple days early or late isn't as important as getting an extra treatment in. I don't think OAV stresses the bees at all, it doesn't make them mean, I don't even wear gloves.... I always where a veil.

Good luck,
    Robbin
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 11-07-2013 at 05:54 PM. Reason: UNQ

Default Re: Question on Timing and effectiveness of OV treatments

Quote Originally Posted by frankthomas View Post
    Second question… recently learning the positives of Oxalic vapor treatments I am considering doing one this weekend? Good idea? Should I wait till winter? Should I do several OV treatments and what intervals?
    Actually one treatment when they are broodless is just fine. If they have brood, 3 treatments each a week apart (to catch the emerging bees that may have mites on them.) You can treat when they are clustered, the temps need to be 40 degrees or above.
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver