Thread: lost my queen

Sad lost my queen

I just checked one of my strongest hives and there is only drone brood. The queen must have been lost somehow and it appears that there is a laying worker. I'd like to split this hive in 2 and combine it with 2 weaker hives or if this isn't a viable idea combine one of the weaker hives with it. With the laying worker I'm not sure how to do this. Any suggestions? This is my first year as a beekeeper and things were going well until this event.

Default Re: lost my queen

Quote Originally Posted by dacoonaz View Post
    I just checked one of my strongest hives and there is only drone brood. The queen must have been lost somehow and it appears that there is a laying worker. I'd like to split this hive in 2 and combine it with 2 weaker hives or if this isn't a viable idea combine one of the weaker hives with it. With the laying worker I'm not sure how to do this. Any suggestions? This is my first year as a beekeeper and things were going well until this event.
    1. Bring the whole hive away from the yard ( maybe 50-100 meters ) and let the bees sitting on their frames outside for 10 minutes. This give them enough time to fill up there stomach and then brush all bees in the grass. The bees know the way home and with a full stomach they are more welcome in your other colonies, drone layers have no orientation and don't find the way home.
    2. Let the bees fly home to get rid of the done layers, then put the whole hive under another hive with a newspaper between. They can go in and out the first few days without coming in contact with the new queen in the upper part (above the newspaper). If you put the former drone layer hive on top of the other colony the bees coming in contact with the other queen to early, there is always a possibility that they kill the queen.

You may be interested in this page on laying workers from Michael Bush:

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslayingworkers.htm
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Thanks. This sounds like a good and simple solution to my problem. I'll give it a try.

>I just checked one of my strongest hives and there is only drone brood.

A lot of drone brood is usually indicative of a drone laying queen. Laying worker hives usually have scattered brood and nothing really solid.

> The queen must have been lost somehow and it appears that there is a laying worker.

There are always more than a few laying workers in a queenright hive. There are thousands and probably tens of thousands of laying workers in a "laying worker" hive.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF