Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thin Honey

Default Thin Honey

I was taking my first honey off this fall from goldenrod and only taking the capped honey which is nice and thick like it suppose to be . The GR was done and it was getting colder so on my last trip I took everything they had put in the honey super off including some uncapped honey , thought I read you could get away some uncapped honey . Well after bottling the last batch I could tell right away it was pretty thin , its ok for are own use for baking and tea etc. but how long will it last before fermenting , is there anyway to reduce the moisture without hurting the honey with excessive heat .Also what could I do different next year to prevent this .

Default Re: Thin Honey

What amount of honey are we talking about? A gallon, ten gallons? My thought there is to dehydrate the honey under a low heat while slowly stirring.

For your future harvests I strongly suggest that you get a refractometer (Amazon, Ebay, under $30) to measure the water content. An alternate no cost method is seen in a FatBeeMan video where he strikes the loaded frame against a table and if nothing comes out on the table (droplets), it's ready to harvest; it's too late for you on this method.

You should get a refractometer now to track your dehydrating results by whatever method you adopt from others and myself.

It is OK to use in baking and tea, but it will ferment. You might want to keep it in a fridge and use it up first.

Can you try to dry it a bit with a dehumidifier near the honey. Spread on cookie sheet possible? Or in 5- gal. Bucket? How much honey are you talking. I would try it.

Quote Originally Posted by laketrout View Post
    Also what could I do different next year to prevent this .
    Take it all off at the same time and extract it all together. I don't know why you didn't do that anyway. Did you think there was more honey to be made and get capped?
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

I have maybe two gallon of the thin honey and its great for tea and baking I just don't want it to ferment before I use it up , I'll try keeping it in the fridge . I was taking only what was capped at first and then I started running out of time , I wanted to do a mite treatment without the honey on the hive and the goldenrod was finished and I took what they had given me some capped and some uncapped I couldn't wait any longer for them to cap it.What could I have done differently .

Have you tested it w/ a refractometer. You might find that the moisture content is fine.
    Mark Berninghausen

You can make honey jelly with it. I have made some cinnamon honey jelly that people really liked.

Tom

TWall honey jelly !!!! never heard of it and I'm from a family that used honey everyday , my grandfather keep between 40 to 60 hives up to his late 80's . Mark I don't have a refractometer wish I did but once you take it off and its thin it seems like its to late to do anything about it anyway or are you testing it before you take off . Compared to the honey I took off that was all capped its much thinner .

Here are six models to choose from anyone have one of these they go in range of expense starting with the cheapest .

For testing Honey (which generally requires a higher Brix scaled unit), check out our line Honey Refractometers:

RHB-90ATC: Standard unit, Quality construction

RHBN-90ATC: Heavy-Duty design, impact resistant

ZGRB-90ATC: Heavy-Duty design with an internal light. Ideal for testing at dawn, dusk, at night, or you just want the best unit around!

10-30 Honey Refractometer: 5x the accuracy of simple Honey Refractometers! Measures Honey Moisture only!

10-30 Honey Refractometer HD: 5x the accuracy of simple honey Refractometers and it's Heavy Duty! Measures Honey Moisture only!

HONEYfractometer: 5x the accuracy of simple honey Refractometers, it's Heavy Duty and has an internal light! Measures Honey Moisture only!! NO ONE ON THE PLANET OFFERS THIS UNIT! Send an e-mail asking about this unit!

TWall honey jelly !!!! never heard of it and I'm from a family that used honey everyday , my grandfather keep between 40 to 60 hives up to his late 80's . Mark I don't have a refractometer wish I did but once you take it off and its thin it seems like its to late to do anything about it anyway or are you testing it before you take off . Compared to the honey I took off that was all capped its much thinner .
    If you had a refractometer, or could borrow one, you could test your earlier extracted honey and the honey you are worried about and mix the two together, to bring the thin honey down to accepted moisture content levels. Assuming you have enough lower moisture honey.
    Mark Berninghausen

I thought about mixing the two but without knowing for sure what I'd get I was afraid I would ruin my good honey .

So for next year how do I take off the honey and make sure its dry enough if some isn't capped .

Take a frame out of the box you want to remove, hold an endbar in each hand w/ the top bar facing you and shake it down towards the ground. If you don't see the comb contents raining out onto the ground then it's ready to extract.

Otherwise, like I wrote before. Don't take off any honey until late in the season and take it all off an extract it all together.
    Mark Berninghausen

Mark not taking any honey off until fall , does that include the spring flow or can you take that off in early summer when the flow stops.

TWall - It would be down right rude to suggest something like cinnamon honey jelly and not offer us the recipe. I know it was just a slight slip there you must have hit enter before you added it, so this is just a friendly reminder.

> NO ONE ON THE PLANET OFFERS THIS UNIT!

If no one on planet Earth offers this unit, how is it they are for sale?
    How will UPS or Fedex ship it to customers?

Vendors that make such silly statements should be avoided. They obviously can't be trusted to tell the truth!

It may not be worth the effort for just 2 gallons, but some posts report a level of success drying honey with a heater & dehumidifier combination in a small room. You may be interested in this dehumidifier thread from July:

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ier#post979685

Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I agree ( pecan honey jelly ) or ( cinnamon jelly )!!!!!

Maybe he meant nobody else on the planet offers this unit except him .

Is anyone familiar with any of the models listed .

Mark not taking any honey off until fall , does that include the spring flow or can you take that off in early summer when the flow stops.
    Either way is fine. But waiting until the end is almost fool proof.
    Mark Berninghausen

Maybe he meant nobody else on the planet offers this unit except him .

Is anyone familiar with any of the models listed .
    I'd be careful doing business w/ someone who doesn't know enough to say what they mean.

Aren't there any refractometers offered in the Bee Supply Catalogs? Go w/ one of them. If you belong to a local bee club, there's probably someone you can borrow one from.
    Mark Berninghausen