Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cheapest Supplier

I've heard of all the big dogs... Mann lake, Dadant and others but I don't care whose name is on my equipment I'm trying to find the least expensive equipment. HAs anyone found a company with cheaper prices??
    You gotta risk it to get honey on your biscuit.

Default Re: Cheapest Supplier

http://shop.honeyhivefarms.com/aboutus.sc

Located in Maryville Mo, If you can drive there shipping costs are 0. Probably your best bet.
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

Add Miller's to your list...

http://millerbeesupply.com/
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

htkbeesupply.com
    They have the cheapest prices i have seen. I compared them to Mann Lake, Brushy Mountain, Dadant, and many others and they still won overall. Dadant is the only one that can stay close to them but htk still wins. The only problem i see is that they do not have as big of a selection as the others, but they still have everything you need for cheap.
    Check them out.

htkbeesupply.com
    Potato Guns shouldn't be illegal in Texas!

I use Mann Lake because of the free shipping. I understand that they probably add the cost of shipping into the product price, but still. For 100 medium unassembled frames, I can get them for 77 cents apiece, with free shipping. Compare that to 78 cents apiece from Dadant, and THEN having to pay $35 to ship it.
    Try it. What could happen?

Like Buzz Aldrin said to Neil Armstrong on the way to the first moon landing, To think that we got here in a vehicle every part of which was built by the lowest bidder! Are you really sure price is your only consideration? How about value? (price x quality) I know a beekeeper who bought on price, but when it came time to assemble equipment, he complained and complained, until, several years later, he actually switched suppliers.

Based on quality, price and customer service I find Mann Lake hard to beat. And don't forget the Bee Bucks.

Let me add my praise to Mann Lake.I can buy hive bodies and supers from them ,and have them shipped in here,for less than I can buy the lumber at our local Home Depot.

I recommend comparing prices with all of the suppliers you see, each one of these suppliers are very reputable, it all comes down to what you think is best for you.
    Potato Guns shouldn't be illegal in Texas!

I am always concerned about quality but I will look at the cheaper suppliers then the quality of the products to decide what I want
    You gotta risk it to get honey on your biscuit.

I agree, Mann Lake is the best option
    "It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

BetterBee in Greenwich,NY, Kelley Co in Clarkson,KY, and Brushy Mountain from NC. Get yourself a copy of Bee Culture and a copy of American Bee Journal and you will find more listed. Ask them for copies of all of their catalogs and shop around. They all have competitive prices. At one time there were only a couple of suppliers who made foundation and all the others bought it from them and sold it. The same was true w/ smokers and some other items.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Compare items. I get some stuff from Place A, some stuff from Place B, etc. I don't think you can say one place is lowest on every price. And availability varies from place to place, too.

Good luck!
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

I will throw Western Bee Supply's hat in the ring. http://www.westernbee.com/

I love their budget equipment and if you buy enough stuff that it's a big enough order for them to send it truck you will save even more money over mannlake or the others. Even shipped UPS I found their stuff to be cheaper.

The money you save now may haunt you for years to come should cheap mean ill fitting. Bee equipment tends to last for years. Good hunting.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    The money you save now may haunt you for years to come should cheap mean ill fitting. Bee equipment tends to last for years. Good hunting.
    I don't think mark was talking specifically about WBS, but I just thought I'd add this.
    Just a clarification: From my experience the above does NOT apply to western bee supply. Their budget equipment fits together better than some from other suppliers (higher grade), and the knot holes here and there tight and won't cause a problem.

I do agree with some things you get your money's worth, you can buy the 100$ plastic extractor that may get the job done, but not for long or maybe not as fast, or you can buy something more expensive that will last multiple lifetimes. I bought a Maxant and expect it to last thru my heirs using it.

Right Rod. I wasn't talking about WBS, but about buying cheap now and regretting doing so for a long time. I recall a THread about a cheap extractor from a cpl years ago. I bet that cheap extractor is still kicking around and still being cursed.

Quote Originally Posted by rweakley View Post
    <snip>
    I do agree with some things you get your money's worth, you can buy the 100$ plastic extractor that may get the job done, but not for long or maybe not as fast, or you can buy something more expensive that will last multiple lifetimes.
    <snip>
    I couldn't agree more with this sentiment. Cheaper is not always better. This is true of many things, not just beekeeping equipment. I would much rather pay for quality equipment and only have to buy it once.

Brian
    Hobby Beekeeper - Second Year - Two Hives

I have found the Simpsons to be very good people to deal with. I know they are often cheaper on some items. They do have a website: http://www.simpsonsbeesupply.com/ But, their catalog is just a pdf with no pictures.

I can't speak about shiping, they are only about 20 minutes from me.

Tom

I too purchase from Western Bee. They beat out all the suppliers I found online a few years back. I purchase their commercial grade and have no issues with quality what so ever. I have also found their customer service to be top notch. I believe the lack of sales tax in Montana is how they are so competitive on price. Even paying for shipping from Montana to Texas they saved me about $80 over the next closest supplier on an order for wood work for 5 hives. I'm not sure how the push to change internet taxing will affect them, but for now they have a clear advantage in price, quality, and service.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast