Thread: Winter feeding

Default Winter feeding

I'm in northern Indiana. What's the best way to feed during the winter? I've been told to use sugar blocks on top of inner cover inside a super? Is that a good way to offer supplemental feed on top of their stores?

Default Re: Winter feeding

Put the sugar brick right on top of the top bars, not on top of the inner cover, and surround it with an empty super or feed rim. Put the inner cover on top of the empty super or feed rim. I mixed sugar with 2:1 syrup just until the sugar holds together like a snowball and no more, then I pile it on a piece of newspaper layed on top of the frames and put on a feed rim, all my hives have this on them right now because they are going into winter on the light side as far as food reserves.

Im still feeding syrup to a few light hives and they are sucking it down. Probably overkill at this point as some are drawing comb on the last partially drawn-out frames.

I say put paper on top your top bars in your top super and ad a box I make 2 1/2 in boxes for my nuc and use my top feeders {I take out the insert} and ad straight sugar and it helps control moisture in the hive and hardens up in just a few days . No need to cook any thing works great .
    Looks like this

nuc

Good luck.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 32 hives==== T{OAV}

Thanks all for your help. It is extremely useful!