Default Q: Mike Palmer Woodenware

Does anyone have a link for the woodenware provider that makes the mating nucs that Mike Palmer uses?

They were half width box, that held around 8 frames. There was a feeder that could be moved to create 2 four frames mating nucs, or one with 8 frames.

Thanks,
    Kevin

Default Re: Q: Mike Palmer Woodenware

See post #8 of this thread:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...der#post878175

There is no vendor mentioned, but photos and a description that suggests Michael modifies standard boxes.
    Graham
    -- The real problem is not precise language, it's clear language. - Richard Feynman

Thanks for the link. There was a woodenware supplier in VT that made them per his spec. I remember it, but can't seem to find it at the moment. If I find it before someone posts it here, I'll add it.

Betterbee is now selling the Palmer Styled double nucs.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

The Betterbee uses full length frames, instead of the half frames with sliding feeder.

Michael Palmer make reference to buying equipment from "New England Farms" in post #32 of this 2009 thread:

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...rms#post424434
    but the link he provided now leads to a GoDaddy page, and seach finds no likely alternative domain.
    Graham
    -- The real problem is not precise language, it's clear language. - Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    The Betterbee uses full length frames, instead of the half frames with sliding feeder.
    I recall someone selling Palmer's double nucs, the ones Betterbee sells, but I haven't heard of any other "Palmer" equipment being sold.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Yea I don't remember if it was a Palmer "authorized" seller or just someone that copied the design. From I remember it was a nuc width box that used half-length frame. Also, had the feeder that was sized to block bee traffic.

Kelley has a "similar" one, but it's made with a fixed divider. Also theirs is a kit for buying a full deep/hive stand etc.. And they toss in the double screen bottom board.

Mann Lake has a styrofoam double nuc with a grow out box.

Neither are the style that Palmer uses. In most of his links, he has 4 ways, but I remember a two way option.

I could make them, I was just trying to find the website to see if would be cheaper to buy them instead.

More on MP's feeders in this thread. Also, note MP's comments in post #34:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...-Feeder-Frames
    Graham

Hi: From The VT Beekeeper site:

Lefevre Custom Woodworks, LLC
    Mitch Lefevre
    Essex Junction, VT 05452
    ph. 413.281.9271
    email: lefevrecustomwoodworks@gmail.com
    We offer a full range of beekeeping woodenware, including DOUBLE NUCS!! All of our woodenware is handmade in Vermont using local materials. If you have any questions please contact us.
    Zone 4a-b

The divided brood chamber with the individual 4 frame supers are similar to what I use currently. I was looking for a solution that used less bees, but wasn't as small as the little styrofoam nucs.

The standard 4-way castle is always an option, I just liked the flexibility of a sliding division board feeder. Shamrocks are always an option, but I feel they are a little on the spendy side.

Watch our website. Betterbee will offer what you are asking for in addition to the double nucs. We are working to meet a deadline for our catalog now, but will have them up on the website soon.

Also, New England Farms is no longer selling beekeeping supplies, so that is why the website looks like it does.

Chris Cripps
    chris@betterbee.com

http://www.betterbee.com/Products/Ne...way-mating-nuc

is the link for what I think it is you are looking for. Call or write if you were thinking something different or have questions.

Thanks,

Chris Cripps
    chris@betterbee.com

Thanks for the link. That's what I'm looking for.

Unfortunately at that price point. I can't justify buying plus shipping it vs building my own.

-Kevin

Make them. They're easy. Just make your tolerances tight or they'll be sneaking from one side to the other behind your back.

I made a screened bottom board, which I wouldn't bother with if I made them again. I used the Dadant deep hive bodies. The basic Dadant deeps were poorly designed in my opinion and the amount of additional ventilation I had to provide to control the condensation problem they had, offset the added insulation benefit. I'd never buy them again. I'd use only wood and insulate the outside if it was necessary.
    Use all five deep half frames and feed on top with mason jar..

I just used a shallow super to cover the mason jars. Staple a 1x2 around the edge to match the Dadant outside dimensions.

I just make the inner covers out of anything I have scrap laying around, in this case cedar. But thiner 3/8" plywood is good. Anything smaller may warp on you.

Seperate inner covers will make you life a lot easier.

Last edited by Lauri; 11-10-2013 at 06:44 PM.

Lauri,

Thanks for reposting the pictures.. I'm a frequent stalker of your posts.

I'm more than able to make the boxes, but if they were cost effective to buy.... Then I'm not afraid of letting someone else do the work. *grins*

But to your point, I picked up 25 1"x12"x12' Cypress boards on Friday. Now I just have to fire up the table saw...

One of these days, I'll buy enough wood working equipment, that I can just leave it setup for dado's etc...