Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I need ideas on setting up a bee yard (pics would be great too!)

I just had a hardscaper come and clear and level a once unusable piece of my property, and transformed it into a clean canvas for a bee yard. I only have one hive on a little piece of my property that will be getting moved to this new piece along with 4 other packages that i just ordered for spring. My new bee yard is aprox. 800- 900 sq ft. I know a bit over zealous for 5 hives, but i don't plan on stopping at 5.

I would like to set this up and I see so many different ways that people do it. I have seen hives set up on cinder blocks, railroad ties, and individual hive stands. Right now, my one hive is set up on rail road ties spaced 22 inches apart (outer edge to outer edge) and the hive sits on that. I was going to originally add 2 more hives to that set-up.

I know there is no right or wrong way to do this, and I would like to avoid people arguing over what way is best, so if anyone is interested, please post a description of your bee yard and why you choose your method over others. I not only want a great bee yard, I'd like it to look really nice too. I plan on landscaping it with bee friendly plants and flowers. Don't be afraid to go too into detail (hive stands, grass or stone under hives etc..) I will read everyone's descriptions in detail and absorb as much as I can to form my own opinion and make a decision based on feedback and other research I do. Pictures are very welcome and also encouraged. If I see something particularly interesting i.e. type of flowers or something else that sparks my interest, I may message you and ask for more details. I really want to start this off right, so any information anyone gives will be very appreciated.

thank you in advance,
    Todd

Default Re: I need ideas on setting up a bee yard (pics would be great too!)

I'd go with pea gravel over plastic. Then maybe I could find my hive tool.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -H.S. Thompson

Mine is very utilitarian - cinder block (because I have them available) on grass/weeds (because that's what's growing there).

I do mow around the hives - makes it easier to find stuff I dropped and I don't trip carrying supers. It also keeps the entrances clear.

The latest pictures are here (I won't be featured on Better Apiaries ): Wrapping Hives

Mernice,

Thank you. Exactly what I am looking for. Thanks for posting pix. Keep em coming all!

Thanks cg,

So far I Plan on doing 3/8" stone only under and around hives (helps with beetle control)

You need access and room around the hives so you can work them. After that the bees could care less what the bee yard looks like or is for that matter.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

My hives are just on recycled cinder blocks in a pasture area. But if they were in an otherwise nice backyard, I'd consider hive stands similar to these built by Charlie B.

There are more photos and description at this thread:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ght=hive+stand

There stands have a "grease cup" incorporated into the legs designed to deter ants from crossing the grease and getting into the hives.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

IMG_8807.jpg

Works for me. Bees could care less.

Actually, now that I look at it, this was the very first swarm in my very first hive.
    Now, everything has handles, painted and have aluminum clad covers.

Pretty much that same stand, but in wood.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6hka24q4st09s4/boxes.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u4leoeby1uxnun8/pastels.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -H.S. Thompson

Setting on boards is the same way I have mine set up
    Tom
    Tater Road Apiary

My favorite bee yard {have 3} I love working this yard with alittle music and i'm very isolated so it's just bee paradise for me.
    I don't know if you have bear but if you do ya better fence them in.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 32 hives==== T{OAV}

Easy upkeep, I pick up small tree limbs and mow grass in front of the hives occasionally.

Last edited by WWW; 11-07-2013 at 04:25 AM.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio Zone 6A

Glock,
    Yes I am in bear country. I have a 10, 000volt controler that I will be moving to the new yard. Your bee yard looks really good.

We have bears in the area, so I've got an electric net around the hives.

For stands I stumbled on little plastic steps at Canadian tire on sale one day, far cheaper than cement blocks, so I cleaned them out.

http://s37.photobucket.com/user/groz...ves-1.jpg.html

I was thinking about making a long double rail stand like those pictured above that woudl hold 4 hives each or more. that is until I got some pallets and started placing several hives side by side. For me it makes it a pain to get into a hive if I cannot get to the side of it. Also if a short hive is between two taller ones it is worse. So now my idea of stands to make is either put them on pallets which hold 4 hives two side by side and another two side by side facing the opposite way. this way there are never more than two hives setting side by side.

A single stand that will hold 2 hives could be made from two 8 foot 2X4's.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Hmm. This is food for thought. I would like the convenience of having a hives width or more between hives now that you mention it.

I put two hives side by side with a good space between. I leave the excess pallet space towards the back of the hives so I can stand on the pallet and not strain my milk when the hives get tall.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

0315131504.jpg

This is how I run my hives as well. Cheap (free in most cases), weather resistant and gives you room to place frames and equipment while inspecting.

I have more benches, but this is a few pics of some designs I have made. All these benches are along the sides of the archery range. That's why it is covered with shavings.

Fashoned the bench above like my garden beds. With a single pipe as support, it wobbled. The 2x4 blocks are for stability, not strength. Those brackets were salvaged from a job site-old laundry mat:

Just be sure your gable ends are totally open for bee escape. You can drop the sides down in winter weather if desired. Kept the hives nice and dry.

Last edited by Lauri; 11-08-2013 at 09:38 AM.

These are all wonderful ideas. Got me thinking and planning for spring.

Are you guys concerned with drift with so many hives that look alike next to each other?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast