Default Extracting question

This has probably been answered before but I could not find it. Sorry if it's a repeat.
    I believe I'm running a little late, but I'm about to extract some honey (for the first time) if you all think it will be ok. I'm just north of San Antonio Texas and it's still in the 60's-70's.
    Hopefully my terminology is correct. I have a medium super over two deep hive bodies. I DO have an excluder under the top super and there is NO brood up there. I want to harvest the super. My questions are : is it too late in the year to harvest honey? And what would I do with the frames that I extract from? Can they just go back on top and let them clean it and do as they wish? Do I need to leave it off since they are about to winterize themselves?
    Any guidence would be greately appreciated.
    Thanks in advance !

Default Re: Extracting question

I think I may need a little more info about your hive. Does the top deep have mostly all capped honey? You want to leave some for the bees to overwinter with. If the top deep is full of capped honey and the super is full of capped honey then go ahead and extract. when you finish extracting take the super and place it over your inner cover then place your outer cover on top of the super, the bees will clean it out in a few days. Once the girls have it all cleaned up you can remove the super and store it for use in the spring. If you only have a few supers you can place them in a contractor bag and seal it up tightly to keep out wax moths and ants.
    Best of luck with the harvest.

Joe

Yes. The top hive has capped honey in it. I believe the bottom hive does also. I will double check all of this when I start the extraction process.
    The top super is full of capped honey.

My thoughts were that if the hive has some empty frames that I would put some full of honey in their place. I want to make sure the ladies have plenty of food for the winter

Thanks for the idea on having them clean up the frames

Take off the super and extract.Put wet super back on over the inner cover for cleanup.A few days later remove and store the super.You are almost exactly the same latitude as me and I will be extracting next week.There is still a light aster and short goldenrod flow going on here.

I am a bit north of you, but I extracted my last honey this past Saturday