Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

No more wiring frames for me

50K views 46 replies 28 participants last post by  MattDavey 
#1 · (Edited)
For the last year or so I have been using bamboo skewers instead of wiring frames. Yes skewers.

I hate wiring frames and the thin skewers don't take long to install. You just have to drill holes in the bottom bar if you don't have a groove.

The skewers are the same thickness as foundation, so comb is fairly uniform. I have been making mostly foundationless frames, only using ice cream sticks for comb guides. The only issue is the occasional hole, which often has a queen cup or two (can you see it?). Though I've seen holes with frames of foundation too. Strips of foundation are working nicely as well.

To install I just turn the frame upside down putting PVA glue in the groove of the top bar. Insert the skewers (blunt end first) then put glue around the part of the skewer that will be permanently in the bottom bar. Push down, then just break or cut the remaining part off.

The comb is quite stable. I haven't used them in an extractor, but you could definitely use them in an extractor the second year. The skewers seem to help in getting them to attach the comb to the bottom bar as well.

It's great for cutting out comb too.

Here's some pictures:

See less See more
#32 ·
Cool, looks good.

With the using the strip of foundation, I have one hive in particular that always leaves a vertical gap beside each of the skewers. (Which are great places for hiding queen cells!) So I have now gone to using a half sheet of foundation.

The foundation is cut in half vertically and placed in the frame centrally, so that it covers both of the skewers entirely. I just press the foundation lightly onto the skewers (as well as securing the top.)

This way the gaps are on each side of the frame, and if they are filled with drone comb then it's not such an issue when the frames are in the Broodnest.

#36 ·
#38 ·
It has happen occasionally, but you can usually tell if it will come off.

I have in the past put a small lump of wax along the top or bottom bar right where there is a Skewer. To make sure the Foundation is secure between the lump of wax and the Skewer.

But if I make sure that the Foundation has moulded around the Bamboo Skewer, I don't have any problems.

#39 ·
Why use foundation? If I needed very strong comb, I would use vertical and horizontal supports (skewers and wire) and offset the vertical skewers. Why not use flat sawn wood (paint/tongue stick, etc.) for the starter strip?

#40 ·
Foundation simply gives better results. As you can see in my first post I have been using starter strips for years, both wax and wood.

Foundation is definetly better as a starter strip than wood. You get sick of having to fix comb that is not straight or gets joined onto comb on another frame.

The frames with 3 Skewers is quite strong and I haven’t had any issues with extracting those frames.

#42 ·
I use wood strips. Sometimes I fix comb by changing frame position.
Aside from a starter strip, is there a way to give them wax to use (without the foundation expense)?
If you use unwaxed floss to wire comb honey, will it get waxed enough?

#46 ·
Depends on how it's made:

Observations made during the study indicated a preference by the bees to use thin non-embossed wax sheets to make new combs rather than thick non-embossed wax sheets or embossed foundation. Cells built on combs from non-embossed wax sheets were, however, irregularly arranged as compared to the regular, orderly arrangement of cells on combs developed from the embossed foundation. Beekeepers can therefore reduce costs and make good gains in colony development and production through the use of plain non-embossed wax sheets.
From: http://www.beesfordevelopment.org/media/2948/low-cost-foundation-_21_.pdf
But - making sheets of wax is yet another operation to perform, and no matter how skilled you are, you'll never make a sheet of wax as thin as the mid-rib which bees themselves draw. Also - studies have shown that if bees are given a sheet of plain non-embossed foundation to draw-out, they will not reduce it's thickness - and so there's no savings to be gained by them recycling the excess wax from what they've been given.

Conclusion: let them draw-out comb naturally, and at their own pace.

SeaCucumber: How do you make "wax food" that they use to build foundationless faster and with less energy?
Man - some of your posts are really weird ...

Conclusion: let them draw-out comb naturally, and at their own pace.

LJ

#45 ·
How do you make "wax food" that they use to build foundationless faster and with less energy?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.