Default Maxant Wax Melter

Yesterday I purchased a used Maxant wax melter. I feel it was a really good deal. For the price of the melter, I also got 14 buckets that were supposed to be cappings. If some of them are cappings, they are very wet cappings. Some of those buckets weigh close to 60 lbs. I feel I will probably get a lot more honey from this deal than wax. This is the melter with 2 valves on the side. I'm sure its a lot easier than it looks. My assumption is to fill it to the bottom rib with water, as shown in the Maxant video and add cappings, leaving the lower valve open so that honey will run off as the wax melts, then close that valve, let the wax come to a boil, and drain wax, rinse and repeat. The Maxant video really doesn't address the issue of taking honey from it. The previous owner said that he just worked from the top, dipping in with a container and scooping out melted wax from the top. It seems to me the valves are there to make it easier than that. I have a couple questions for anyone who has actually used this piece of equipment...1) Do you have any other tricks for making the best use of the valves. 2) Are there any tricks to saving as much of the honey as possible? Id have to take a rough guess that more than half the weight is honey, maybe 250 lbs? I might as well salvage as much as possible, even if it has to be sold as "baking honey". 3) The unit currently sits half full of a wax "chunk". Can I melt this down by just turning on the unit or adding some water to it first. The water would run down to fill voids as the wax chunk melts, then treat it like a regular batch? Will it hurt for the heater to come in contact with the block of wax? Looking at it, I would guess it wont come out as a block as it is. 4) obviously depending on a)how much of what is in the buckets is honey and how much is wax, and how much if any is brood comb (no, I didn't open the buckets) and b)the temp of the room, there will be a lot of variation BUT how long should I expect it to take to render a bucket of wet cappings?
    If there is anyone out there that has actually used this unit and knows the tricks, and can help walk me through the process, I would be very grateful. To be honest, if this is likely to take days, I may wait for warmer weather. It was suggested that I wrap this with insulation and I would have anyway, but I am guessing that to do 14 buckets, this may take several days. Thank you in advance for any help!!
    Ray
    40 hives zones 5a and 5b

Default Re: Maxant Wax Melter

Hit Jake from Maxant here. He goes by "MAXANT". I've got experience with a lot of Maxant equipment but I've never used the wax melter.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

This is the directions I received from Jake a few years ago when I purchased a used wax tank:

You will fill the tank with water just above the large valve. Bring to a boil and dump in your cappings. Let that boil for a little while. Use the small valve to drain off the water and crud.
    When you see the clean product, close that valve off and drain the clean wax with the large valve. Your wax should be pretty clean to the point that you can drain into molds. You may want to run it through a sieve assuming the temperature is high enough for the wax.

Again... that doesnt address the issue of honey. I dont want to dump 200 lbs of honey to get 100 lbs of wax. I assume the piece was made with 3 different drains so that honey can be drained off before it has to boil. Honey should be melted long before wax. I think boiling honey wouldnt be a good thing. I may have to experiment I guess
    40 hives zones 5a and 5b

Drain the honey and feed it to the bees

So i am just trying to clarify what your goal is. You would like to dump the wax/honey mixture that are in these buckets, with at least some of the honey being crystallized, into the water bath that these tanks utilize to melt and clean the wax and have some expectation to drain off marketable honey?

I would place the buckets in a hot water bath and let the honey separate from the wax. I have a couple of Kelley multi purpose tanks with immersion heaters that I use to liquefy my granulated honey for bottling. If you bring the water temperature up to 140 or so for 6 hrs the wax honey mix will separate. By doing this you will liquefy the honey in the buckets and then after it cools you'll be able to lift out the wax. For doing this you will need a tank though and an immersion heater. My tank holds 3 buckets at a time.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti