Default Sometimes when you wake up in the night, odd questions come to mind...

Odd questions like, what is the purpose of an inner cover? Sure I'm using one, and they are a part of all Langstroth "kits" that I've seen advertised, but what is the reason for having them in the first place? What happens if you don't use one?
    Dow Mathis ∴
    Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.

Default Re: Sometimes when you wake up in the night, odd questions come to mind...

Quote Originally Posted by dow View Post
    What happens if you don't use one?
    The top cover gets glued to the hive body.

Default Re: Sometimes when you wake up in the night, odd questions come to mind...

Now that makes sense. Thanks Gumpy!
    Dow Mathis ∴

Next time you can't sleep and come up with a question, try this:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfaqs.htm

And if you read it you would have found this:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfaqs.htm#innercover
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by dow View Post
    Odd questions like, what is the purpose of an inner cover? Sure I'm using one, and they are a part of all Langstroth "kits" that I've seen advertised, but what is the reason for having them in the first place? What happens if you don't use one?
    Then, close your eyes, imagine yourself to be that small honeybee, walking around the hive, in the dark, sensing things by touch, by smell etc.... your job is to make sure the house is tight, safe and clean. Walk around your hive, keep your size (3/8) in mind and see what happens when you dont have the inner cover vs when you have inner cover...

The answer will reveal itself to you :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    Next time you can't sleep and come up with a question, try this:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfaqs.htm

And if you read it you would have found this:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfaqs.htm#innercover
    Ahh, Michael, but then I would have broken the #1 house rule: Nothing with a screen in the bedroom. Thanks for the links, by the way. I've benefited greatly from your website and your willingness to share your experiences, knowledge and wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyNJ View Post
    Then, close your eyes, imagine yourself to be that small honeybee, walking around the hive, in the dark, sensing things by touch, by smell etc.... your job is to make sure the house is tight, safe and clean. Walk around your hive, keep your size (3/8) in mind and see what happens when you dont have the inner cover vs when you have inner cover...

The answer will reveal itself to you :-)
    I'll do that, lol.
    Dow Mathis ∴

But sometimes it's solutions that come to mind...Eureka Moments!

The inner cover provides a bee space above the frames when the frames are either designed for bottom bee space or when they are made wrong and do not provide correct bee space above the topbars. I'm using migratory covers for all of my colonies, but to run a hive as a 2 queen unit, I have to use two half-size flat sheets of thin plywood as an inner cover to keep the colonies from mixing during inspections.
    DarJones - NW Alabama, 46 years, 24 colonies, sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 14 frame square Dadant broodnest

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    But sometimes it's solutions that come to mind...Eureka Moments!
    naa that's when you're assembling 1000 frames out in the woodshop by yourself. Man the things my mind wanders to doing repetitive tasks.......
    Terrence - 2 full years....still a newb