Default Mega Bee Patties

I have a few nucs that seem ok on honey/sugar water stores but light on pollen. If Mega bee patties are fed know will they store them in their cells?
    Beekeeping: "Know the Rules and Learn the Art"

Default Re: Mega Bee Patties

My experience has been they don't.

You might want to carefully consider whether or not you want to stimulate brood rearing and creat more mouths to feed early in winter by feeding mega bee now or not.

Unless your cluster is unusually small, you'll get no productive ise form the additional bees until larte winter/early spring, but they will be consuming food reserves until then.

Perhaps it would be wiser to add it if you notice a need for it in early spring.
    If build up isn't reduced or delayed, you won't need them.
    If you decide you do need heavier build up, it won't cost you the risk of overpopulation going into winter and causing the hive to starve in late winter when you don't want to be opening it.

Just something to consider.

you can feed megabee dry can't you? I've seen sub being stored in hives but I don't know if any issues come from it.

No they won't. Maybe you could donate some pollen frames from other hives.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

I avoid pollen sub this time of year to avoid dysentery when bees can't take cleansing flights.

I am feeding mega bee to 5 of my 11 nucs. Yes I want them to be building up. In fact I believe they will attempt to build up even if I don't want them to. The nucs I consider are at minimal population or better I am giving sugar boards to. I will add mega be as needed right through winter. In my experience a 5 frame nuc will attempt to build up population right through winter and end up short on resources before spring.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

They'll take it dry fine when they need it.
    I took a rubbermaid container and made an open feeder by cutting two 3" holes near the rim on each side.
    I poured an inch or two into it and duct tape the lid down, and they take it well.
    I'd usually put it in early spring as soon as there were enough flight days.

I also put a piece of 1/2" ply on top (weighted down) with some overhang on each side to proven wind driven rain from caking the feed.
    There was a noticeable improvement in brood volume.

My goals have shifted form maximum production to sutainable production with fewer inputs, though, so don't plan on continuing the practice.

Bees need pollen to raise brood, and worker brood takes about a month to emerge.

In Ohio, the bees start raising the winter bees in Sept and Oct, so you missed that timeframe. They will start raising bees in earnest in March. You may want to add a patty then, as with the wild spring weather, the bees miss some of the early pollen flows such as maples and willows.

I am adding mega bee patties to my "2" hives today but not sure how. Do I take the paper off the top and bottom of the patty and how many to I add to the brood box. Unfortunately they didn't come with instructions and I am a new bee keeper. Thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by darby View Post
    I am adding mega bee patties to my "2" hives today but not sure how. Do I take the paper off the top and bottom of the patty and how many to I add to the brood box. Unfortunately they didn't come with instructions and I am a new bee keeper. Thanks for your help

Are you adding the "winter patties" or regular Mega-Bee patties? Either way, you dont take the paper off. If they are the regualr ones, I only add one. If they are the winter patties, you can add as many as you can fit on the top bars if you feel your hives are light.